Decision Time on Heater

Good morning!

I've been lurking/occasionally posting here for a couple of years. We are finally at the point of signing a contract for our pool project. We are going to have a 12 x 24' 5'6 inch deepest part Aloha Islander pool installed. It will be about 8,000 gallons. The primary use will be for exercise. Husband is planning for a swim tether. The pool will use a saltwater generator and we are planning for an auto cover. We have decided to go for a CCSI polycarbonate/glass pool enclosure so we can use the pool year round.

Our last decision about this project is the type of heater we should get. We live in southern New Mexico, about 50 miles north of El Paso, Texas. Our pool builder is recommending a gas heater. We are considering the Pentair hybrid heater that has both a heat pump and a gas heater. The pool builder says a heat pump will not work well here. I am interested in the heat pump to maintain the temperature as we are considering keeping the pool at about 88-90 degrees. Another option we are considering is going for the gas heater with the option to install pool solar later in addition to the gas heater. Our home has solar electricity as well.

Looking for feedback: given that this will be an indoor pool, we will be using a cover--what is the most economical for pool heating in the long term: the gas heater alone, the gas heater/solar combination, or the Pentair hybrid heater?

Unfortunately as one member in Colorado learned, the Pentair UltraTemp ETI Hybrid heater is not meant to be installed in any climate where freezing temperatures may occur, even if running the heater in gas-only mode.

The UltraTemp ETI Hybrid heater always produces condensate whenever the gas heater is running (regardless of water temperature) so there also will always be water in the condensate drain line; due to the length and routing of that line with the condensation management system it will freeze.

Get a MasterTemp gas heater.

Thanks for the replies. We will go with the gas heater. Next question: for an 8,000 gallon pool, should we go with the 200,000 or 400,000 BTU gas heater? We will be using the pool year round.

Normally I would say just go with the larger heater as it will heat faster. But for such a small body of water, I think you'd be ok with 200k. 200k also doesn't need as large a gas line so should be cheaper to install. Price difference between 200k vs 400k probably isn't much.

There is no substitute for BTUs. The 400K heater will do much better overcoming heat loss to cold air temperatures in the winter.

Reactions: proavia
Does your pool plan include any automation? My EasyTouch automation controller can manage both my solar heating system and my gas heater. I can set it to use only gas, or only solar, or both. When set for both, the controller will select whichever heat source can do the job at the time. If there's a lot of sun on the panels, it'll turn valves and heat the pool "for free" using solar. In cooler months, or at night, it'll use the gas heater.

Solar can have a significant expense up front, of course, but that might be a consideration for you for overall cost efficiency over time... I don't know how it is where you are, but heating a gas pool where I live is crazy expensive.

Reactions: RubiconValley
After much discussion, we decided to go for the 250,000 BTU gas heater, and to have the electrical to support a heat pump installed in case we decide to add a heat pump later. Also requested that the pool be plumbed for solar. We'll see how this goes. Finalizing the contract soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.