Decided to start talking about it in North Texas

Txjole

Bronze Supporter
Aug 22, 2018
Wylie/TX
Hello all, new here from Wylie TX. Wife and I decided to start talking to pool builder next week. I got it narrowed down to 8 builders and we have our first on-site next week. I just watched my retired in-laws build a SWG pool 4 miles down the road. We enjoy using it so much figured we need one closer to home for our 5 year old twin boys. Been snooping around here for a few weeks and learned a lot. Wish us luck.

Question for the group, the plan is for a spa. Gas access is the yellow line, that’s a 3 car garage driveway so boring is about impossible without a directional boring unit. Will electric heat for the spa be ok? Green is acess to the city sewer for backwash. That’s a long run, any alternatives?

You can get a cartridge filter and not have to backwash to get rid of that problem. No help from me on the spa heating. I think you need to do the math on using one or the other and see what your wallet can take. I am sure with enough wallet someone can find a way to run the gas line.

Kim:kim:

Personally I'd skip the spa and get a stand alone hot tub instead. Spas don't *do* the same things that hot tubs do. No seriously powerful jets against your neck, lumbar, feet.... ahhh! Hot tubs get *hot*.

As for the backwash, can you drain it out in the alley?

Maddie :flower:

Jole,

Just make sure you use a gunite spa before you spend money on one.. A lot of people like them, but my guess is that a gunite Spa is the most unused feature in residential pools. If you know for sure ahead of time that you like the feel and function of a gunite spa, then it makes sense to get one. If you have never used one before, it would be wise to do some research before spending an extra $10 or $15K on something that you may not use after the newness wears off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jole,

With a cartridge filter, you don't backwash at all and you eliminate the need for a multiport valve. There is no reason to run a line to the sewer..

If you have a sand filter, or DE filter, then you have to have a line to the city sewer in a lot of cities in the DFW area. The main reason that I have a cartridge filter is because of that rule.

Jim R.

There has been a recent-ish thread about a pool that wrapped around the corner of the house. Aside from the safety concerns of not being able to see the whole pool from some locations, it was gorgeous.

Take away from first meeting. Man I really like that guy, hate he was first, been in the biz with the same (larger) company for 15ish years.
Cartridge filter, because of distance to sewer tap, no trees around pool is a plus for cartridge.
Pushing Haywood
3-4' fall in backyard designing multi-step
agrees with a Robot over a Polaris (same initial cost) (say he uses robot in his pool)
Not a fan of flagstone on saltwater pool, said they will do it, but hes not a fan.
In DFW pavers are same if not cheaper then stamped concrete. (I like pavers better in installed correctly)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support