DECIDED ON INTEX! Suggestions Wanted - Intex XTR vs "Real" AGP

jseyfert3

Oct 20, 2017
South-Central WI
you have nothing to lose by trying and everything to gain if it’s the case. And being firm yet pleasant goes a long way. It’s their policy to honor their mistake if you have proof. as a backup plan you get the lesser pool for a steal.
Yeah I'm just one of those guys that hates bargaining. And to me, if it's the older Ultra Frame as opposed to the Ultra XTR frame it's still worth it. Again, I'd certainly ask for a different pool or a further discount if I got there and it was say, a 20' pool, or if it was damaged. I suppose I could ask, like you said, it wouldn't hurt.

completely possible. But any mega company has the ability to squeeze the manufacturer. Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc. ‘We won’t sell 17 million of your products if you can’t meet out price point and profit. So they get their own ‘only at XXX model line’. It’s how we got 75 inch Vizio TVs for $600. It also helps them advertise that they will price match the identical models when they are the only ones who sell it.
Well yes. But I believe the general rule of thumb is that retailers pay about 50-60% of the retail price of a product. Hence if Walmart sells an Intex pool for $1000, they may have paid Intex $500 for that pool.

My point was not the retailer squeezing the manufacture (which certainly happens) but rather to counter the claim that Intex would not warranty a pool sold for this cheap. I said that wouldn't be the case, cause Walmart already paid X to Intex for that pool, so even if Walmart sells it for a loss Intex got paid the same as if Walmart sold it for full retail price, so Intex will honor the warranty either way. (logic aside, honoring warranties on clearance items is required by law unless sold as-is, which isn't allowed in some states).

jseyfert3

Oct 20, 2017
South-Central WI
So, new thread or continue this mega-thread into off-topic territories? I ask as I need recommendations for:
  • Filter and pump
  • Skimmer/cleaning supplies/possibly robots or other floor cleaners
  • Solar covers and maybe reels
  • Solar panels
  • Controller(s)
  • SWCG (seems like Circupool is a good brand for DIY?)
Some of these are related. For example, the pump needed likely depends on the filter and what other things are added, such as the solar panels. Controller would have to be able to handle the pump, SWCG, and solar panels. And so forth.

Note that I will not be buying all of this at once, I just don't want to start buying things only to have to re-buy them when I add something I always planned to add later on. So while I may not have the solar panels and SWCG at the start, I'd want whatever filter/pump I buy to work with solar panels and a SWCG in the future.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
For this one I say start a new thread in the under constitution part. Use a good title like "What to buy to up grade a Intex pool?" and make sure to post a link here so those that have enabled you here can cheer you on with the build! WAIT...........might now want any more help from THIS bunch in spending your money LOL

Kim:kim:

jseyfert3

Oct 20, 2017
South-Central WI
Oddly enough, the pool I bought is back to $979. When I bought it the $979 was the original and it was a "rollback" to $399. I figured they were clearing out this model, and the link would go dead afterwards.

Perhaps they had some sitting in a warehouse they needed to clear out? Kind of odd.

In other news, 2 of the 3 boxes have been listed as ready for pickup. I'm waiting on that 3rd box before I head down to pick it up and see what I got!

scout123

Feb 18, 2018
Chattanooga, TN
WOW!! What a deal! Was it an Intex metal frame pool or one of the “Easy Set” pools with the ring on top? I’m jealous!
Metal prism frame.

Crazy how it fluctuates, you bought at just the right time.
That is crazy. Really lucky that you saw it when you did!

Are you planning to do anything to deter rust before setting it up? It seems rust is a hit or miss issue with these pools.

Reactions: thefloatqueen

jseyfert3

Oct 20, 2017
South-Central WI
Are you planning to do anything to deter rust before setting it up? It seems rust is a hit or miss issue with these pools.
That depends on if it's the Ultra Frame or the Ultra XTR Frame (it's supposed to be the XTR). I've seen the hit or miss rusting on the Ultra Frame, but the Ultra XTR Frame coats both the inside and outside of the tubes. The Ultra Frame only had the outside of the tubes coated. My guess is this is in response to the rusting issues.

So if it's actually an XTR, I probably won't do anything, but if it's the older Ultra Frame I'd paint or otherwise coat the inside of the tubes to help prevent rust.

Reactions: scout123

jseyfert3

Oct 20, 2017
South-Central WI
IT IS HERE! And it's a 26' Intex Ultra XTR, as advertised. Just one pool, in three boxes. I guess I owe @krazykrames a case of beer. Krazykrames, PM me your address and I'll mail you a Visa/MC gift card or a check, so you can buy the beer of your choice, since shipping beer is not very practical. This is the best deal ever!

Condition is meh. Tape was torn on two of the three boxes. Not unexpected on these large boxes. They never seem to use a tape that's suitably thick for the heavy boxes. I saw at least a small bag of parts thrown in loosely with the box that looks like it has the liner, which was one of the boxes the tape had broken open on, so it's pretty probable I'm missing something small. That said, contacting Intex should get me any replacement parts easily enough for free. Probably not parts I would need anyway, since I plan on doing a different filter plus skimmer and hard piping, but I would at least like to set it up stock and fill it to verify it's defect free before voiding the warranty by cutting a giant hole for the skimmer and/or extra returns...

IMG_20200118_163216040.jpg

IMG_20200118_163519255.jpg

IMG_20200118_163524990.jpg

Box 1 of 3 says item #28951W, 2 of 3 says #28952W, and 3 of 3 says #28953W. So it appears not only is it the Ultra Frame, but all three boxes indeed are for the same pool model.

They are in a friend's garage right now. Sometime after we close on the 24th we'll bring them to our garage, probably the weekend of the 1st when we're doing the main chunk of our move. Once we settle in a bit I'll open the boxes up in the garage and check for damage and/or missing parts so I can get anything obvious replaced before spring gets here.

The Walmart guy was like "A pool!? Why are you getting a pool in January?" I told him it was because it went on sale for $400 and was normally $1000 or more, and suddenly it made sense to him. :D Still, as we were loading it into the truck with a temp of 16 °F and 36 MPH wind gusts I was not thinking pool thoughts! 🥶