Dealing with high water table

Apr 14, 2018
Boston/MA
Hello Everyone,

My first post.... This forum is a great source of info so I wanted to throw this request out for feedback.

I'm in the planning stages of an 18'x36' inground vinyl liner pool in New England. I will be building the pool myself. In fact, this is the second pool I've built but the first dealing with high water table (1st was also 18x36 at previous house). The pool site has high water at about the 3' mark, due in part to multiple layers of clay. I know the site is not ideal but it's where the pool needs to be. Trying to decide the best overall methodology for dewatering both during and post build.

The post-build water level will be controlled by a stone and pipe ring around the perimeter of the pool at the base of the pool walls in the overdig that will allow gravity draining to a low area of our property. That will keep the water level around the pool always about 4' feet below grade. That should help avoid floating liner issues.

The larger question is how to drive the water table down to the 8'+ mark so I can build in dry conditions. I also want the capability to lower the water table in the future for liner changes, etc.

Idea #1: Create an 8' deep trench around the outside perimeter of the pool outside of the pool footprint with a perforated pipe in the bottom and fill with stone to the surface. This 8' deep perf pipe would gravity drain to a 10' deep sump that had a pump installed to keep the water down at the 8' range during construction. Post construction the pump would be turned off allowing the water level to rise back to the point where it gravity drained out of the 4' deep stone and pipe ring gravity exit I mentioned earlier. If in the future I need to replace the liner I would pump down the sump well again. This method involve significant stone and effort.

Idea#2 Keep the stone and pipe drain at the base of the walls in the overdid to always keep ground water low but instead of the 8' deep drain trench simply install 4 smaller sump wells down to about 10' deep. Perhaps four 12" perf pipes installed vertically in the four corners of the deep end with pumps in each during construction? Not sure what radius a sump well like that will draw down the water table.

Who has dealt with this before and how did you handle it? The water table in FL is often just below the surface and there are pools everywhere so I know there is a fix. Many people suggest over digging the hopper with stone and pipe and pump but I forces water running in the excavation walls while I'm trying to build. Would like to effectively lower water table so build in a dry as can be. Perhaps I am over thinking this. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Pools in flordia are all gunite. Or at least all the ones I've seen.

I know when we dewater for the purpose of building houses, the pumps are running 24/7. Then once built, each house has it's own sump but this is only done in extreme cases. Whenever possible they try to get the structure above the water level.

I would like to see pictures of the site and I am sure that the experienced pool builders here would too before providing advise.

If you do not have any experience installing underground utilities I would not recommend #1 at all. An 8ft trench excavation would require trench boxes to keep from collapsing. Never enter a trench deeper than 5ft (OSHA reg) that isn't properly shored no matter how stiff and stable you think the walls are.

Have you dug any test holes to see how fast they fill with water? Is it all clay or do you have any gravel or sand seams? What is your timetable for the pool? How about under excavating the footprint of the pool by a few feet, throw a sump pump in the bottom and let your site bleed out. If it is all clay then it shouldn't take but a few weeks as water doesn't travel through clay very well.

Dewatering is not for rookies.
But the golden rule is to keep the “work” above the water..

- this will include digging deep, trucks of stone & constant pumping.

- liner builds are dewatered outside of the panels, unlike concrete pools. There is a build thread hear with a “mudsucker” line & pump outside of the walls. I think it’s called “beach build” or something..

- going into this knowing you have water, it’s worth considering building the pool higher than planned.. raised decking & pool area, will give a head start on the lower material placement, before it floods..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.