Dealing with a green pool for too long

DebsPlace

Aug 7, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Hi all,
Got an algae bloom because I was away and FC dropped below . Had a pool party coming up in a few days so I used green to clean and the 9 lbs of shock recommended and it cleared up. I was also told to use 14 lbs of alkalinity up before starting as it was so low. A week later my pool was green again. The result of all that was cya of 73 and ph of 8.2. I am now ignoring them, got a drop chem kit and partially drained and refilled to get a cya of 60, got ph to 7.2 yesterday and TA down to 100. Last night I brushed and added all the liquid chlorine I had to 25 ppm. My pool looks exactly the same this morning and ph shot up to 8.2 or over. Chlorine is super high still (my kit only goes to 10)
I have a 22,100 gal vinyl pool. Do I keep brushing and waiting? Do anything about the high ph now? I have no phosphates and .1 copper, no iron.
I have been reading and studying everything here.
Thanks for any input you have!

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. What kit do you have? You might be able to add the tests you need or just get the TF-100 / TFPRO or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach (1 gallon per day) to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.