Deadpool? Turned on pool filter and boost pump at the same time.

StacyTX

Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Leander, Texas
***PROBLEM SOLVED***

My husband hit both buttons to fire up the pool and side pressure cleaner just now. The boost pump started to rumble so I pounded on the window for him to shut it down.

It ran for maybe 15 seconds.

Now, after resetting breakers, the pool filter will not turn on.

Bonus info: he informed me that when he came outside at 5am, he turned in the pool lights. Ten minutes later, they tripped the breaker and he left it tripped because dark and snakes.

We've no clue where to start, so we read through similar posts here and tried a couple things.
- we turned off all the breakers and let it sit and tried again
- all that happens is we can hear the relay
- he just tested the filter pump capacitor and it's good

What's next?
What additional info can I provide?
I'm trying not to over-complicate things here. Very confused.

Stacy,

On the surface, if the pump is getting power, and not working, then the pump motor is dead..

If the pump makes a humming noise, it could be the cap, whether you tested it "good" or not.. If no noise, probably not the cap..

I "assume" the pump is wired for 220 volts. When your husband checked the power did he get 220 volts? I only ask because it is possible to loose one phase and test 120 volts on each pump wire, but not get 220 when testing between the two inputs to the pump.

You say you can hear a "relay" so I assume you have some type of automation. If so, did you reset all the Pool circuit breakers in the Main panel as well as at the equipment pad?

To give your husband some slack... :p I doubt turning on both pumps at the same time would have hurt anything. Worst it could have done is pop a breaker.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Most pumps have a centrifugal switch, not sure if VS pumps do or not. If yours does then you can try cleaning the contacts. You can also try checking resistance of the motor windings. If you find no resistance then the motor is bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the pool is wired for 220 and he tested both phases. They are both 110.
Yes, we've reset all 8 breakers, 2 on the house 6 at the pad.

Yes, we have an Aqualogic control panel.
you have to make sure you have 220v between the two because a 220v motor can send 120v back through it giving you false readings check with one lead on each hot wire there could be a chance breaker went bad trust me I have had this happen to me!

Mkubaki -

Hubby disconnected the wires from the motor and tested voltage again - he did not know the power could falsely feed back through the motor. He reports that only one wire is providing 110, and the other is providing none - so it would appear that you are right. He is going to run to the store now to get a new breaker and replace that breaker. I will report back in about an hour when he has it replaced. Fingers crossed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.