Dead frog in the pool all day

randys

Gold Supporter
Oct 28, 2018
Clayton, NC
Whenever I test the water and discover a very low FC I go on a hunt for the culprit. Today I found a dead frog in the pool that must have been there for a good 20hrs. What kind of FC drops should we expect in situations like that? Is a dead frog a reasonable excuse for dropping from 8 to 6.5FC with cya of 70? Seems these numbers and drops are a repeating trend for us.

Organics are organics. The chlorine works to eliminate them. So yes, you can have a FC drop from critters soaking in your pool water.

I doubt a single dead frog in that volume of water, in for less than a day, would have much impact on FC. I’ve never experienced such a drop from the occasional dead small critter in the pool.

It is up to you. I find dead critters in the pool all summer. Last season I had many frogs, 2 bunnies, mice, etc. I have never raised the chlorine level for these. I just remove them.

I usually check the pool every morning before the robot runs just in case I have a new pool friend. I have found a couple of mice, a gopher, a good sized rat, lots of random dead bugs. None of which has impacted my FC significantly. If I see them in the morning, I know they got there sometime between about 8pm and ~7am so not as long as yours but there has never been any big sign of decay on any of the critters.

I have been fighting a springtail infestation lately so I have raised my FC up to about 10ppm just to see if that impacts them. I haven't yet found a good reason to not slightly bump the FC as a good measure for a few days in case I come across something in the pool though.

Reactions: splashpad
Funny related story, early spring I had a small 8" brown snake in the bottom on my skimmer..I shut the pump off and tried to get it to grab a stick so I could save it but the crazy snake jump in the return..
I knew his chances weren't good so decided to turn on pump for 30 seconds and see what happened...He was in the pump basket and moving when I dumped him out..Came back later and he was gone..
Probably telling his friends, man you should have rode the skimmer coaster, it was cool!

Reactions: Susiejax and randys
We had a bunch of frogs in our pool. A friend recommended the Frog Log and when we remember to leave it in the pool at night, there are no frogs in the morning :cool:

We purchased from Amazon [ Link ], but I'm sure there are other places as well. Hope this helps!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.