Dead algae? At my wits’ end!!

So if I want it that high then I have to do the test for FC every single time? Not just the basic drop test that tells me chlorine levels up to 5 ppm right? We have always just used that part of the test kit except for once every so often when the levels get weird. The LC we use is 10%. I guess maybe I’m confused because what is in the test kit instructions is so different than what the pool math app is saying. I just retested the water and updated the results. It was only at 3.5 ppm, so I guess after the kids get out I will add more chlorine.
Yes use the powder test! Daily, until you learn how much FC drops in different conditions.
Do you have a solar cover? Would help reduce chlorine usage.

This is the only code I can see, and it makes no sense to me. I just looked at the description of the pool online that says how many gallons the pool holds, and went off of that.
Now I am on my computer, couldn't read on phone.

That code date indicates that the bleach was made on the 36th day of 2021 (the part that says 2136). Being that old, it has degraded. See this: Chlorine Degradation.

That is why you are not seeing your FC rise as expected with the addition you made!!!!

I was trying to triangulate why you were not seeing the results of your additions. Either your pool isn't configured correctly or bleach was bad as starting points. We've figured it out. This can be a help for you: Chlorine Code Dater

You need to get new chlorine.

Now let's figure out your pool math config...post a screen cap of your pool configuration. With a 7950 gallon pool, I put in a FC of 1.5 and a target of 6, I get 37oz of 12.5% You said recommendation was 30 ounces, so we need to get you set up correctly so you don't add too much/little of the chems you need.

Last edited:
@Colleen0904 How is it going?
Sorry, it’s been a very busy long weekend! The pool looks pretty good. The water could be a little clearer, and we haven’t gotten our FC to be nearly as high as we would like. It makes sense though, after reading about the chlorine degradation you pointed out. So basically, the bigger the number, the newer the chlorine? Apparently my newest bottle of chlorine is already 30 days old. What do I do if I can’t find any new chlorine? The shortage has made it difficult to get ANY chlorine, let alone stuff that is semi-recently made. Can I just add a larger amount of the “old” stuff?

The first two of those numbers is the year (21) The next digits are the number of the day of the year.
21001 would be January 1st. 21182 would be the 182nd day, or July 1, 2021.

I would not use the really old stuff, you have no idea the concentration. Probably ok to use anything higher than 21185.

I'm sure that one of these places will have Liquid Chlorine: Lowe's, HomeDepot, Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply. IN A PINCH, you can use Bleach. HOWEVER, you MUST be sure it is just BLEACH. No softener, no splashless, no blue, no nothing,no lemon...

The POOLER Walmart has this: Walmart Bleach

I would try Lowe's and HD first for Liquid Chlorine, you should go and ask, they don't have store quantities online. If not the Walmart stuff will work.

Reactions: Colleen0904
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.