DE vs cartridge filter?

Cartridge filter FTW. Get the largest one you can find/afford. Water will be crystal clear and indistinguishable from water filtered by a DE filter.

IMO DE is an obsolete holdover from when people thought the filter was what made the water clear. Water is clear because it is clean and properly balanced.

I would use nothing but cartridge and think DE should be allowed to die. I think DE is still around primarily because of the disconnect between equipment makers and consumers, that being pool builders.

I have used both and greatly prefer cartridge.

I'm in the next town north of you. I've decided to axe the Pentair DE filter this year and move to a cartridge. I installed new grids last season (got 'em for $80 on Amazon over the Winter), it was working pretty good, however I'm just tired of dealing with the DE. Additionally who ever built the pool decided to install a 36sqft filter, which is a little on the small side for the pool.

Does anyone have any experience with Doheny's house brand filters? I see the exact same cartridge filter on sale on Amazon for $329 (cartridge 200sqft).

I'm in the next town north of you. I've decided to axe the Pentair DE filter this year and move to a cartridge. I installed new grids last season (got 'em for $80 on Amazon over the Winter), it was working pretty good, however I'm just tired of dealing with the DE. Additionally who ever built the pool decided to install a 36sqft filter, which is a little on the small side for the pool.

Does anyone have any experience with Doheny's house brand filters? I see the exact same cartridge filter on sale on Amazon for $329 (cartridge 200sqft).
Mt Airy?

I use the Pleetco from Amazon. Really any filter is fine (no pun intended) they all do pretty much the same thing.

If you go to cartridge from DE, is the backwash valve/line still needed? Our backwash line goes to sewer.
There will be no backwash at all. The valve will be gone. I've seen ones try to install a backwash valve on a cartridge filter as, if the same brand is used, the ports will line up at times and the replumb can be minimal. That will destroy your cartridges if you try to backwash them. Cartridges are cleaned by removing them and, using a strong garden hose spray (never a pressure washer) hosed off. A good chemical soak once in a while can be a good practice. I do mine once a year as I have a lot of organic material (leaves, etc.) that ends up in the pool.

Reactions: proavia
That will destroy your cartridges if you try to backwash them.
Great catch !!

I meant keeping the backwash line, plumbed in with a 3 way valve to bypass the filter to waste.

It was given to me without knowing/asking with my 1st pool and it really came in handy at times. I'm doing it on purpose this time.

DE is not usually recommended with VSPs as there is evidence that you don't get complete coverage of the grids/DE cartridge with DE when the water is moving slow.

I saw no difference in filtering with a Penatir FNS DE filter when changing to an Intelliflo VS pump. I need to run around 1700 rpm for my heater and SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reactions: DanF
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.