DE Not sticking to Filter Grids

AJB1234

Gold Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Newport Beach, CA
Hi, TFP,

I had to open my filter the day after cleaning my filter grids and I noticed the grids look as if no DE is on them. Someone mentioned the DE is new it remains in the water in the filter and goes back on the grids when the pump is on.

I drained water in my filter to open it up so do I need to add more DE? If so, do I put the full amount of DE in or only 80%?

Thanks, AJ

AJB,

When you drain the filter, it is not unusual for the DE to slough off and drop to the bottom of the filter.. All the old DE is dirty and needs to be flushed out of the bottom of the filter.

I dissemble the Grid assembly and then clean each grid.. I then reassemble everything and add 100% of the DE needed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

AJB,

When you drain the filter, it is not unusual for the DE to slough off and drop to the bottom of the filter.. All the old DE is dirty and needs to be flushed out of the bottom of the filter.

I dissemble the Grid assembly and then clean each grid.. I then reassemble everything and add 100% of the DE needed.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for your response Jim. Just to make sure the situation is clear... I cleaned the filter grids yesterday. Today, I drained the water out of the filter to open it up. I noticed the grids look like they are not coated (maybe this is normal). Water drained out of the bottom of the filter. There is no 'old DE' beyond one day in the filter. Also, I am using perlite, not DE. Since the grids appear to not be coated, and the water drained out of the bottom of the filter, do I need to add more DE (alternative)? Thanks, AJ

AJB,

Sorry, I know nothing about "perlite"... So I have no idea if it normally sticks to the grids or not. :scratch:

Maybe one of our other members uses it and can chime in.

It just seems to me that when you drain a filter, a lot of the DE/perlite has to come out..

With DE, you just replace it all... I "assume" that perlite is a lot more expensive, so not something you want to do after just one day.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you for the response. I'm ok with the cost but just want to know if I need to replace some and if so, how much. I'll await answers from other. I guess if I have to I could always just backwash and then put in 80% like a normal backwash. Thanks again.

Just to understand - you drained the water out of the bottom drain plug in your filter then removed the top. Most of the Perlite drain out the bottom drain plug?

With a DE filter you fill it with 100% of the DE after opening it and cleaning the grids. You add 80% after a backwash since a backwash does not get all the DE out.

Neither of those consider what you did. I would hose out the DE from the bottom and out the drain and then do a 100% fill.

Yes, I drained the water out of the bottom drain plug in the filter and removed the top. I'm not sure if perlite drained out or not as I didn't see anything but wasn't looking for it at the time.

OK, I'll do a 100% fill after hosing out the DE. Thanks for the suggestion. Really appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.