DE inhaled while suspended in pool water

KPool1

Jul 9, 2019
Houston, TX
Ok, I may be waaay overthinking this but.... what if there is a little DE suspended in my pool water and my young kids inhale some water while we are swimming (which is not unusual for them since they are not good swimmers yet). I know DE is harmful to your lungs when inhaled in dry form. They always say its fine once its mixed with water, but couldn't it also find its way into my kids lungs when they accidentally inhale a little??

My pool water looks clear, but who knows, I'm sure some DE gets in there on occasion.

Nah... you're paranoid. How can DE just "sit" on top of the water anyhow? Unless you're trying to say your kids are swallowing water mixed with DE but DE is in the filter, not the pool.
Ideally, yes the DE is in the filter, but some can get into your pool water in different ways. Not sitting on top of the water, but suspended in the water. Yes, most likely paranoid, but was on my mind.

H20 molecules are also microscopic and so is dust and skin particles and pollen and all the other junk we inhale ;)

DE is a very fine powder, the concern is if that powder is inhaled and gets deep in the lungs and stuck there. That can't happen when mixed with water. Also, the harmfulness is cumulative and really only a danger to those that are exposed to inhaling the powder on a daily basis.

First of all, there should be close to zero de in the water.

Second, almost no water is probably getting in anyone's lungs unless they're drowning.

De is not super toxic. It's primary danger is long term exposure to inhaled dust that can cause silicosis.

A few minor particles of de should not pose any danger.

If your kids are inhaling water deep enough into their lungs for particles of DE to get lodged there, they have more problems than a little DE. Like almost drowning, and subsequent pneumonia.

You're overthinking this. Relax and enjoy your pool.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
H20 molecules are also microscopic and so is dust and skin particles and pollen and all the other junk we inhale ;)

DE is a very fine powder, the concern is if that powder is inhaled and gets deep in the lungs and stuck there. That can't happen when mixed with water. Also, the harmfulness is cumulative and really only a danger to those that are exposed to inhaling the powder on a daily basis.

WE SWIM EVERYDAY! o_O

No- I'm feeling reassured. Thanks y'all for responding!

Good job for even asking about it. You never know what is bad or okay. Just think about how much the water dilutes anything that might be in it. You and the kids are fine. Even if they were to drink the water it is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.