DE flowing back into pool when pump starts

srt8

Jun 26, 2023
new jersey
Hi all. I have a problem with DE flowing back into the pool through the return. I use a hayward ec 50 bump filter for above ground pool. I see that when the pump is turned off DE is flowing back from the filter into the pump basket, as a result, DE is flowing back into the pool for about 10-15 seconds every time the filter is turned back on. When I vacuum the DE and continue the let the filter run afterwards it appears that no more DE is flowing back into the pool so I don't think there are any issues with the filter tubes, tube sheet or diaphragm.

I already backwashed a couple of times and tubes were cleaned prior to starting this season. When I opened the filter to check tubes it does appear like DE is not coating them but I'm not sure. There was mention of a faulty check valve but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

You mention a check valve, but do you actually have one? It sounds like you don't.
A check valve can be useful, installed before the pump, to prevent the filter from emptying backwards through pump.

They're not terribly expensive and easy to install. Post a few pictures of your equipment pad - that would really help.

Hi there. Upon review, I actually don't have a check valve so that is not the issue. This is the first time I'm having an issue with the filter so I'm taking some time to learn more about the components and how it works.

Any ideas on why the DE is flowing back into the pool through the return upon starting the pump?

Even if the DE is flowing back into the pump it will go back to the filter when the pump is started. If you are getting DE out of your returns you likely have at least one grid with a hole.

Thanks for the reply. Upon further inspection of the filter, I was missing a tube sheet bolt and another was severely loose. I installed new bolt and tightened the remaining bolts on the sheet. All good now!

Thanks for the reply. Upon further inspection of the filter, I was missing a tube sheet bolt and another was severely loose. I installed new bolt and tightened the remaining bolts on the sheet. All good now!
we just had a bolt loose as well and had to replace the nut. I‘m on the third vacuum and hope the de is all out of the pipes now. The pressure is perfect tho Now that it is freshly cleaned and refilled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.