Gold Supporter
Jun 24, 2022
Donna, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
One of the people from our pool repair company is saying we need to turn our pumps off so the DE filter can 'settle.' I think I know what he means I just can't find anything about DE filter settle time on the internet.

Is there any reason to turn the pumps off other than to save electricity?

One of the people from our pool repair company is saying we need to turn our pumps off so the DE filter can 'settle.' I think I know what he means I just can't find anything about DE filter settle time on the internet.

What he is describing is bumping the DE to let dirt settle off of it. It is a way to extend the time between backwashes by a bit if your filter is clogging.

As the filter runs the dirt coats the DE and clogs the filter. When you turn off the pump the water settles to the bottom of the filter and the dirt sloughs off to the bottom of the filter. For a while that uncovers some unclogged DE for your filter pressure to drop. Eventually the dirt recoats the DE, clogs the filter, raises the PSI, and slows the return water flow.

It is better to just backwash the filter and put in fresh DE when your filter PSI raises by 25% and is dirty.

If your filter frequently needs backwashing then you should do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and see if you have algae clogging your filter. You may need to do the SLAM Process

Is there any reason to turn the pumps off other than to save electricity?

No.

Bo,

I have two rent house pools with DE filters that run 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM. I clean those filter every 6 months. (I never backwash anymore, and the filters no longer have a backwash or MPV valve.)

I have no clue what settling is, nor why you would need to "let the DE settle". :scratch:

They must have a reason, what do they say???

Thanks,

Jim R.

He is coming this week, well I assume he come this week, I will ask what he means. I thought he was implying that debris would fall off the grids if the pump was shut off. I thought it was probably nonsense and you both have confirmed my intuition.

I will continue to run our pumps 24/7. Our pumps are a tiny fraction of the electricity used here.

I had DE for over 12 years on prior pool. All the "extended time to take down" methods work to degree, but the work in the end is the work in the end. If it indicated cleaning time, I didn't even backwash and refill. I just took it down, rinsed grid, and recharged.

It is not that big a job to remove the grids from the housing and wash them down. I plan to do it on a schedule. I just need to figure out the schedule. I did the outdoor pools when I took over in June. I need to do the indoor filters now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.