DE Filter Material

Lisa

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2007
Nokesville, VA
I remember reading somewhere that there is a product that can be used in DE filters in place of DE ... but I didn't save the link!

Has anyone used anything other than DE in their DE filters?

The Mermaid Queen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Northern KY
There is something called zeolite or zeobrite. I think it might filter better than DE, but not sure I remember correctly.

You can also add a little of it to cartridge filters to really polish your water, something you cannot do with DE. (you can add either DE or the zeo to a sand filter, however.)

KurtV

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
SE Louisiana
I believe the DE alternative is called Filter Aid and it's made of cellulose fiber. I think the claimed advantage over DE is that it's less hazardous to human health (DE can damage lung tissue if it's breathed in; it's otherwise inert and harmless).

Zeolite is NOT a DE replacement. It can be used in place of sand in a sand filter.

G

Perlite, a type of vocanite mineral, is the other DE substitute available. Both Perlite and cellulose fiber are more expensive than DE and IMHO, offer no real advantage.

G

Handling DE powder is probably much less dangerous than handling muriatic acid or even cal hypo, just use common sense and wear a mask.