DE Filter Flow Issues

dogtag13

Jun 17, 2017
Dallas
Hello, I've been fighting a filter issue since May on my 35 year old pool. So far I've replaced the back flush valve, filter grids and the filter manifold all of which were faulty. My issue now is that I clean the filter and I get great flow for 20 minutes with the water cascading over my hot tub into the pool. Then after 20 minutes the it stops to a trickle of even completely with my pressure gauge pegging at close to 40 PSI. I can backflush and it will be good for maybe 5 minutes. With all of these issues my pool is a dirty mess but when I remove the the grid it isn't too terrible. I'm thinking the problem may be with the aftermarket manifold which has a few vent holes where my original manifold had a removable stainless steel hemispherical screen. The filter grids were aftermarket also but i can't image that is my problem. I really need to get this sorted before the temps drop below freezing. Any ideas as to what is causing my flow issues would be greatly appreciated?

Attachments

• IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2896.jpg
    IMG_2896.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2893.jpg
    IMG_2893.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 6

You have a chemical issue not a mechanical issue.. Your filter is doing what it is supposed to be doing..

You have algae, even if you can't see it yet.

If you water is green, then SLAM or replace the water... I suspect that water is cheaper than Liquid Chlorine right now.

If your water is not green or cloudy, then do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.. OCLT

Thanks,

Jim R.

However, I think a drain and refill is in order.
We would hate to see you waste money and water draining if not needed. Since your description sounds like algae, you could start the SLAM Process now. That is if your have a TF Series test kit or Taylor K-2006. Even if you exchanged your water, I suspect there would be residual algae and you would still need to perform the SLAM Process. At the very least do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Now is the time with the cooler weather dropping in on us.

So far I've replaced the back flush valve, filter grids and the filter manifold all of which were faulty.

Your grids appear to me to support the algae diagnosis. I would expect them to be almost as "White" as the new manifold. (I see more of a "Green" tint.)

This is from my Hayward at the end of last season after Backwash, removing, and then rinsing with the water hose. For many years (before TFP) mine would look like yours - and worse - several times a season.

Endof2022_AfterHoseRinse.jpg

What much do you think a SLAM is going to cost if the water is green???
Jim, I certainly support drain if warranted and have recommended such in the past to others. To each his own. Each scenario is different. If it's cheaper between water and chemicals, plus safe for that pool, no worries. Owner's choice.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.