Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I help maintain an indoor pool for our HOA. We are getting a good amount of DE in the pool recently. The company that services the pool charges $175 for an annual inspection and cleaning of the DE filter. They were notified of the problem with DE getting into the pool and sent us an estimate for $420. $175 for filter cleaning seems reasonable. Would replacing grids increase the cost to $420.? And this is before they even know if any grids are damaged or how many need to be replaced. Just trying to get a sense if this seems to be fair pricing. Thanks for any input on this.

I help maintain an indoor pool for our HOA. We are getting a good amount of DE in the pool recently. The company that services the pool charges $175 for an annual inspection and cleaning of the DE filter. They were notified of the problem with DE getting into the pool and sent us an estimate for $420. $175 for filter cleaning seems reasonable. Would replacing grids increase the cost to $420.? And this is before they even know if any grids are damaged or how many need to be replaced. Just trying to get a sense if this seems to be fair pricing. Thanks for any input on this.
Grids are pretty expensive. Well, if you purchase them at Leslie's or similar pool store. They are probably estimating 1-2 grids. That is always the first place to look when DE is flowing to the pool. Other area is the top manifold for a crack. also $175 seems reasonable just for the labor of cleaning the DE filter.

Grids are pretty expensive. Well, if you purchase them at Leslie's or similar pool store. They are probably estimating 1-2 grids. That is always the first place to look when DE is flowing to the pool. Other area is the top manifold for a crack. also $175 seems reasonable just for the labor of cleaning the DE filter.
So I got some further information and found out that $420 is just the labor to remove, clean, inspect and replace any grids.... with the cost of grids being extra. Pool company said they have to do this all in one day since it is a running pool (and apparently this adds to the cost). :scratch:

So I got some further information and found out that $420 is just the labor to remove, clean, inspect and replace any grids.... with the cost of grids being extra. Pool company said they have to do this all in one day since it is a running pool (and apparently this adds to the cost). :scratch:
Sounds like BS. I can completely disassemble, clean (remove the grids from the manifold), check all the seals, reassemble all within 3 hours. I know a local pool service tech will charge $160 for labor + any parts if needed. Replacing the grid is an non-issue because you have them laying on the deck to clean and dry, so it doesn't matter if you pick up a new grid or a cleaned grid - it is the same effort to reassemble. My only thought is that they do not remove each grid to clean, which is a dis-service to you - as you need to really spray down each grid to clean it thoroughly. They may be just hosing the external part of the grid assembly.

Reactions: Scoop
Sounds like BS. I can completely disassemble, clean (remove the grids from the manifold), check all the seals, reassemble all within 3 hours. I know a local pool service tech will charge $160 for labor + any parts if needed.
I'm a little confused. You said you can do the work in 3 hours and that a local pool service would charge you $160 per hour (plus parts). We are being charged $140 per hour for 3 hours of labor to clean, inspect, etc, so that comes to $420.... plus parts. What am I missing?

I'm a little confused. You said you can do the work in 3 hours and that a local pool service would charge you $160 per hour (plus parts). We are being charged $140 per hour for 3 hours of labor to clean, inspect, etc, so that comes to $420.... plus parts. What am I missing?
$160 is for the total job labor - not per hour. The 3 hours is what it takes me - I do not use the pool service - I just enquired on what they would charge me. $140 per hour is quite expensive - I would pay a plumber or an electrician that but not a pool service.

The company that services the pool charges $175 for an annual inspection and cleaning of the DE filter.

So I got some further information and found out that $420 is just the labor to remove, clean, inspect and replace any grids..
What is the difference?

It's the same process either way.

They just have to bring out a full set of grids and a manifold in case that is what is broken.

$140 per hour is quite expensive - I would pay a plumber or an electrician that but not a pool service.
Perhaps the hourly rate differs by area of the country. In the Chicago area that seems to be a pretty standard rate for pool service companies... and I've seen some that are higher.

What is the difference?

It's the same process either way.

They just have to bring out a full set of grids and a manifold in case that is what is broken.
Here is the explanation I got from the pool company when I questioned the $420 charge:

The annual cleaning ($175) is geared towards an outdoor pool where we can pick the filters up, clean them, order parts if necessary, and return them when we head back in their direction. Being an indoor running pool the filters have to be picked up, cleaned, inspected, assembled and returned/ installed and the system turned back on all in the same day. The $420 is labor. Any grids that need to be replaced will be extra.

Honestly... it's hard to challenge these charges when they seem high. What is an HOA to do? Fire the company and try to hire another one. Not an easy task with Property Managers and Boards involved in these decisions..... especially when a pool is shut down and in need of repair. And who knows if the next company will be any better in the long run. There's certainly not a lot of competition in this area. Seems like maybe 8-10 choices of pool companies that service our area and many of these don't have very good online ratings and reviews. It's a tough situation for an HOA... or a home owner!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why can't they clean the grids onsite?

It seems really stupid to me to take the grids offsite to clean everything.

Why would you load up heavy, nasty, wet grids in your van and take them somewhere?

Bring new parts to replace whatever needs to be replaced.

They are making things unnecessarily complicated.

The annual cleaning ($175) is geared towards an outdoor pool where we can pick the filters up, clean them, order parts if necessary, and return them when we head back in their direction. Being an indoor running pool the filters have to be picked up, cleaned, inspected, assembled and returned/ installed and the system turned back on all in the same day. The $420 is labor. Any grids that need to be replaced will be extra.
I do not see the difference in an outdoor pool vs an indoor pool with regard to filter cleaning. You would want the pool back in service, unless the outdoor pool is now closed and no longer operating, which may be the situation for you. Or, if the pool is still in service, I would ask the HOA to invest in an extra set of grids. Have the pool service come out, exchange the grids and put back in service. They can clean and hold the grids for next cleaning.

I would not allow them to take the grids offsite.

There's no reason to take the customer's grids.

You should have a extra set of grids on hand as well as a manifold, standpipe O-ring, filter O-ring and any other part that might need to be replaced.

The service should take everything apart, clean and inspect everything and replace anything that is broken.

One trip is all you need.

Having a set of grids banging around in a van is idiotic and it is going to cause nothing but problems.

Reactions: Scoop
I think the OP said they wouldn’t be taking them offsite, that’s why the cost is what it is. No idea why they would choose to take stuff offsite in other situations, maybe they got a great rate hiring someone to drive around and pick filters up but if the OP isn’t going to cancel the service then there’s not much choice in the matter.

JamesW :

Excellent point about the spare Grid Set Assembly. I have 1 built spare & a couple sets of individual Grids (complete set of Grids un-assembled) in my pool parts stock. I like having them available for fast troubleshooting spares. I can then clean the used set when time permits while getting my pool back up & running.

Regarding Grid replacement time it takes, it'll very widely with pool owners but having a spare set greatly reduces the time to get the pool back up & running sooner.

Reactions: JamesW
It looks like this service takes the customer's whole filter for cleaning.

One reason is that they are guaranteed to get paid for the closing and they are guaranteed to get the opening since the filter is basically hostage or collateral.

Other than that, it does not make much sense to take the entire filter.

1667929770096.png

Reactions: Newdude
Final cost for this service was $750. $420 in labor (3 hours) and 4 new grids at $75 each plus $30 sales tax. Are we getting ripped off? Time for a new pool company?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.