DE Filter Building Pressure Faster Than Normal

Jun 26, 2016
Boise Idaho
Hi. I have a System3 DE filter and have been having some problems with it.
First, I'm getting more filter medium in the pool than in the past and it is also clogging the pool cleaner inlet screen within a day or so and I have to spray it out regularly for the pool cleaner to function right.
Second, the PSI is building pressure very fast. I backflushed the system and pressure returned to normal at about 18 psi but 3 days later it was up to 25 psi and my waterfall features had a significantly reduced flow. I backflushed again on Monday and this time put less DE than I did last time, in case I put too much in last time and that was the issue. Again, PSI went back to 18 but 3 days later I am now at about 21 psi. I used to only have to backflush a couple times a season so there is something really different here. I am getting ready to go on a trip and am concerned about leaving it this way for my wife while gone.
I have never taken the filter apart and manually cleaned it. Could that be my problem? At what point should I invest in a new filter?
Thanks Steve

Steve,

A DE filter needs to be opened and cleaned at least once a year and usually after three back-washes.

That said, the most likely cause of your problem is that you have algae and no filter is going to fix that.. Algae is a chemical problem, not a filter problem. The OCLT that Allen has recommend above, is a test to determine if you have algae or not.. If you have algae, you will need to perform what we call a SLAM.. SLAM Process

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you for your replies.
The pool has an auto cover and it stays pretty clean overall so I haven't been dealing with much debris: some grass seed due to nearby vegetation and the insects get in during the night but the Pentair gets much of those.
I did the overnight test and there was no change: FC 4.0 and a touch of CC <.5 last night and same this morning. I would have been surprised if there was algae because I slammed it at the start of the season and I have only recently got the chlorine back to the perfect range.
In the three years I've had the pool I haven't manually cleaned the filters only backflushed. So it sounds like I am overdue there.
I don't understand though why the pressure would go back to normal after the backflush only to climb so quickly.
When cleaning it, how important is it to soak it in a cleaning solution as opposed to just spraying it off?
Thanks

Steve,

I just break the grids down and wash them off.. I never soak mine.

When you backwash you only remove about 80% of the old DE.. and the next time you backwash you only get 80% of the 80%, etc... I am surprised that you have not had problems already.. :scratch:

On the other hand, I assume you close in the winter, and your filter gets cleaned then?????

I am glad, but surprised, that you passed the OCLT... The number one reason for filters clogging quickly is algae, whether the pool is clear of not..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Steve;
you indicate that you are getting more 'medium' in the pool than before---this indicates the "medium" DE is getting past the filter, either from a cracked manifold or a torn grid. And you have not popped the top off the filter at least since to joined this forum in 2016. So, I'm guessing you have accumulated enough DE in the bottom of your filter to block off a very large portion of your filter grids. Pop the top, get rid of all the DE in there, scoop as much out with your hands before trying to lift out the entire grid assembly. I'm guessing you have a Algae Colony alive and well in your filter. Clean everything, SLAM, and increase your filter cleaning schedule. Not what you wanted to hear,
I went thru something similar to this when I purchased my home a while back., torn grids, cracked manifold. etc. So, I'm speaking from experience with a situation almost exactly as you describe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.