Jul 19, 2021
Kansas City
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
5/28 UPDATE
WE PASSED OCLT!!!! WOOHOO!!! Thank you so so much for the responses!!
One last question: If we see algae start to come back, can I go to MA level? Or do we need to repeat SLAM first?

For the love of all that is holy I hope all you knowledgeable humans can help this newbie figure this out before I lose my every loving mind! I filled out all the signature stuff but please let me know if something is missing! Let’s get to it!
For reference, if it makes any difference I’m in the heart of the US of A in Kansas City. Weather has been a steady mid 80s during the day, high 50s-60s at night. Unfortunately, our pool does not get shade.

When we opened our pool this year we had cloudy water and algae (not a horrendous amount but it was there). Initially we did what newbies do, and went to Leslie’s. I know, I know but I came to my senses real quick thanks to a lovely employee referring me here! Even with the cloudiness we have been able to see the bottom the entire time. We’re on day 13 of SLAM, the only part we’re passing is crystal clear water and it seems like our chlorine is still being consumed quickly.
Here’s what we’ve done:
Deep cleaned sand filter per TFP
Replaced pressure valve
Partially drained and replaced water to lower CYA
Vac to waste what I assume is algae
Discontinued all nasty chemicals
Replaced pucks with 12.5 Bleach
Removed all debris
Removed ladder
Scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed etc
Running pump 24/7
Backwash as needed
Added filter sock
Invested in TF PRO with smart stir
Frequent testing and adding bleach
Adding bleach when needed to reach shock level of 20
Increased shock to mustard algae level of 29 for about 2 days (presence appear to be mustard algae per forum)
We’ve likely gone through 50+ gallons of bleach!!

I know this isn’t a quick process but was my pool really in such a horrible condition to be in SLAM for 2 weeks?? Our water is the clearest it’s ever been! How do we still have spots of algae? What am I missing? Any and all tips and or advice would be much appreciated!

Starting levels:
CYA 50
Ph 7.5
CC 1
TA 120

Attached photos are when we opened (those dark spots are just leaves that were on the cover and fell in) and our pool now. I’m also adding one of the filter sock. Any idea what this stuff is? It looks like hair when it’s over process with bleach and turns mushy.

Attachments

• 70433254191__D9220A38-F7E3-4331-B155-C5E0F6041762.jpeg
    70433254191__D9220A38-F7E3-4331-B155-C5E0F6041762.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3542.jpeg
    IMG_3542.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Hi mknauss! Yes and fail every time by 3-4ppm.

I thought so too but our dogs are short hair and no one has been in the pool. It just keeps showing up and it slimy. The photo was after it dried.

Check everywhere algae can hide. Are you getting any kind of debris from trees plants in your yard?

Check everywhere algae can hide. Are you getting any kind of debris from trees plants in your yard?
No debris from trees. I’ve scrubbed everywhere!! Around the skimmer, output, the entire walls and floor. That’s why I’m so frustrated. It has to be SOMEWHERE. The only thing I can think of is in the water lines (which are buried). Is that even possible? I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

What SLAM level are you holding your chlorine at?
After thinking on it, the photo of the filter sock, I think it’s cotton. We don’t personally have the trees but there are a lot in our area. With that said, I suppose we do have debris but that would be it. No clue how to get around that because you can’t see it once it hits the water. Or maybe pollen? No visible debris.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest cotton wood tree debris. After it’s dried out you could seriously stuff pillows with it.
So if you think you have MA you don’t do the MA protocols until after you have passed all three exit criteria of the regular slam. You jumped the gun.
The water looks very clear/not cloudy so that’s a good sign 👍🏻
is the stuff that’s recurring on the floor getting less & less each day?
Does it poof/disappear when brushed?
Are you vacuuming & or brushing daily?
How often are you testing/replenishing slam level?
Are you confident in your cya level? (If the dot disappears between two values you always round up)
You said you checked/scrubbed the skimmer, what about the weir door foam?(you have to remove it from the weir to check)
Are you doing both your
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tests by the book in the dark, testing after your last addition of the night?
3-4ppm is a pretty hefty overnight loss

Here’s what we’ve done:
Deep cleaned sand filter per TFP
Replaced pressure valve
Partially drained and replaced water to lower CYA
Vac to waste what I assume is algae
Discontinued all nasty chemicals
Replaced pucks with 12.5 Bleach
Removed all debris
Removed ladder
Scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed etc
Running pump 24/7
Backwash as needed
Added filter sock
Invested in TF PRO with smart stir
Frequent testing and adding bleach
Adding bleach when needed to reach shock level of 20

SnarlingMeatyHousefly-max-1mb.gif

Are you doing both your
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tests by the book in the dark, testing after your last addition of the night?
^^^ this.

And make sure it's well and mixed for both tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was going to suggest cotton wood tree debris. After it’s dried out you could seriously stuff pillows with it.
So if you think you have MA you don’t do the MA protocols until after you have passed all three exit criteria of the regular slam. You jumped the gun.
The water looks very clear/not cloudy so that’s a good sign 👍🏻
is the stuff that’s recurring on the floor getting less & less each day?
Does it poof/disappear when brushed?
Are you vacuuming & or brushing daily?
How often are you testing/replenishing slam level?
Are you confident in your cya level? (If the dot disappears between two values you always round up)
You said you checked/scrubbed the skimmer, what about the weir door foam?(you have to remove it from the weir to check)
Are you doing both your
3-4ppm is a pretty hefty overnight loss
After posting this I read more forums and I agree. I did jump the gun. However, I’m a bit confused. In order to pass slam there must be zero algae dead or alive. Well, if I pass that how would I know if I have MA and if I should follow protocol for it?

Water is super clear which adds to the confusion.
Stuff on the bottom is less some days, and I get super stoked, then I’ll wake up and it’s worse. We had Dang near ever bit cleaned one night, woke up and BAM back with a vengeance!!!

Yes it poofs. Vacuum/brush at minimum 2X a day. Replenish every couple hours. Today I believe I did 5X. Yes I’m confident with CYA. I even errored on the side of caution and rounded higher. I scrubbed all around it but didn’t remove. I’ll definitely take it off and give it a good scrub. Yes all evening tests are done after sun down and at minimum 1 hour after my last addition of bleach.
I thought that was high as well!! Again, adds to the frustration. I keep trying to stay positive about the process but 2 weeks is pushing it. Especially since my husband was sketchy about it after the first couple days. Although highly frustrated and have ALMOST turned to algaecide I’ve stayed strong! But will this battle ever end?!?!

Since the weekend is finally here it’s all hands on deck scrubbing every inch with a fine tooth comb again. These 2 weeks have been rough with the amount we’ve spent on bleach(12.5) and the beating my arms have taken from all the scrubbing. I briefly heard something about hydrogen peroxide… any thoughts on that? Worth a shot?
Thank you to everyone who has commented!! I greatly appreciate all the information, tips, tricks and advice! Keep them coming!!

After posting this I read more forums and I agree. I did jump the gun. However, I’m a bit confused. In order to pass slam there must be zero algae dead or alive. Well, if I pass that how would I know if I have MA and if I should follow protocol for it?
Mustard algae is generally cleared with slam but returns after fc levels drop to what would otherwise be appropriate target fc levels. Ma normally grows on the walls & in shady spots although it can be anywhere. Aside from those two calling cards you don’t really know. Regular algae can be multiple colors. The ma protocols are more of an insurance policy and a kick it while it’s down thing rather than the full prescription. Some may also choose to maintain mustard algae minimum for some time after the slam to ensure it doesn’t reoccur especially if it’s been a recurring problem in the past.
I briefly heard something about hydrogen peroxide… any thoughts on that? Worth a shot?
Peroxide is how you lower fc levels- it is an oxidizer - definitely not the answer.
Chlorine is both an oxidizer & a sanitizer.
Keep slamming. No magic bullets - sorry 😢

Mustard algae is generally cleared with slam but returns after fc levels drop to what would otherwise be appropriate target fc levels. Ma normally grows on the walls & in shady spots although it can be anywhere. Aside from those two calling cards you don’t really know. Regular algae can be multiple colors. The ma protocols are more of an insurance policy and a kick it while it’s down thing rather than the full prescription. Some may also choose to maintain mustard algae minimum for some time after the slam to ensure it doesn’t reoccur especially if it’s been a recurring problem in the past.

Peroxide is how you lower fc levels- it is an oxidizer - definitely not the answer.
Chlorine is both an oxidizer & a sanitizer.
Keep slamming. No magic bullets - sorry 😢
Ok that makes sense. Good to know about peroxide! Learned something new! Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.