Dark splotches on the pool bottom!?

Jentu

Jun 30, 2021
Maryland
I am kind of freaked out. My water has been perfectly balanced so far this summer except for a higher copper reading (.4) last week. No idea why. Time to shock my pool today and I see dark splotches that aren’t coming up with a brush. I tried to take a pic (attached here). Any idea what this could be??

Attachments

• E8A646D4-DF3A-4C9F-87A7-AD9738EB3416.jpeg
    E8A646D4-DF3A-4C9F-87A7-AD9738EB3416.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 12
  • D690E53C-8791-42F1-BE6C-3A60A5B85A2A.jpeg
    D690E53C-8791-42F1-BE6C-3A60A5B85A2A.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to the forum!
If your water was perfectly balanced, why do you add 'shock'?
Can you post a full set of test results from your own test kit?
Copper, do you use products with copper in them? Any thing with the word 'Blue' in the product name?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks. I shocked because my chlorine was getting low and the water temp is above 82. Here is my last chemical test. I use pro team 73 powder unstabilized to keep my CYA low but stabilized 3” pucks. I have used phosFree twice since opening to keep phosphates at bay because I am surrounded by trees. My calcium and alkalinity have been in range all summer as has all of the other measurements other than copper, which I can’t figure out.

Attachments

• A9D45E75-AA15-46BC-B790-C9D815502016.jpeg
    A9D45E75-AA15-46BC-B790-C9D815502016.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 13
I'm sorry but we do not provide guidance based on pool store tests.
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
Phosphates are of no concern if the pool water chemistry is properly managed.

I replayed my swim last night before the spots appeared and think I figured it out. We bought a new “retractable” cloth like hose. The hose dropped into the pool for a bit while I was watering plants and the hose has blue stitching. I wonder if some blue came off the hose…. That is my theory anyway.

Happy to report it disappeared I think with the shock. It had to be some blue dye from my hose. FYI that I test my water with my own Taylor 2005 complete kit, but I also validate my test results with a monthly pool store test. They always match so I have confidence in my pool store, and my pool store can test for copper and iron, which I can't (that i'm aware of).

Happy to report it disappeared I think with the shock. It had to be some blue dye from my hose. FYI that I test my water with my own Taylor 2005 complete kit, but I also validate my test results with a monthly pool store test. They always match so I have confidence in my pool store, and my pool store can test for copper and iron, which I can't (that i'm aware of).
Good for you. I have a stain that looks very similar to yours and I cannot get rid of it and I've tried everything. I think mine's due to sap from debris sitting on the plaster for a while in the winter. Definitely not dye from a hose.

I'm curious though... the shock you used... granular? Did you scrub the bottom of the pool on the stain with the granules down there?

I'm reaching here... but I've got new plaster and unless I can find some magic I'm just gonna have to drain my pool and acid wash it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.