Cyanuric acid heated up and dissolved almost immediately

Jan 12, 2015
Orange, CA
My pool went neglected for a few weeks as our first child was born last month (I added bleach/acid sporadically but not with any precision).

Now I have a bit more time to get everything balanced. My pH was about 8.5, FC 0, and CYA was almost 0 which was a surprise since I had added about 4lbs a few months ago to balance everything. So to start with, I added a half gallon of muriatic acid and put 4lbs of cyanuric acid in a sock in the skimmer. I spent another 30 minutes brushing and cleaning the pool vacuum and went back to check on the sock. To my surprise more than half had already dissolved. I squeezed the sock and it was extremely hot to the touch as if an exothermic reaction was underway. I’ve never seen CYA dissolve so quickly nor had it heat up. Has anyone else had this happen before?

You sure you added stabilizer and not calcium?

Oh Crud.

I always order my CYA on Amazon from the same retailer. I should have looked at the box this time more closely - they shipped calcium instead of CYA. Arghhhhh.

Well, at least now I know what’s wrong but now I have to drain a ton of pool water. Sigh.

Oh Crud.

I always order my CYA on Amazon from the same retailer. I should have looked at the box this time more closely - they shipped calcium instead of CYA. Arghhhhh.

Well, at least now I know what’s wrong but now I have to drain a ton of pool water. Sigh.
Probably not.

Use Effects Of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of PoolMath to see how much CH you just added. Probably not as much as you think.

My CH has always been somewhat on the high side (~350+). This is also the second time I’ve added 4lbs as I used the same box last time. I unfortunately wasn’t paying much attention last time due to baby prep so didn’t measure CYA after adding.

I’ll let the water turn over and see what the CH is in the morning to determine what to do.

8 lbs of calcium chloride to 12000 gallon is about 70 ppm CH. Not a big deal.

Was this Puritech?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would be wary of that company. This the second report this year of mislabled chemicals from them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.