CYA went down as I decreased TA and increased CH

Isotfp

Jul 5, 2020
Fulshear, TX
Hi all,

Newby. Houston in-ground chlorine pool - not sure the capacity. I have to get off my duff and calculate it. It's somewhere between 11,000 and 16,000. Pebble/plaster. Two years old.

Anyway, I just decided to take a more active role in managing pool chemistry. The 2-year old strips were WAY off.

I bough a Taylor K-2600c and the CYA was off the charts. 4 drain/fill cycles later (1 foot at a time) and it was down to 45.

What was odd: I then corrected TA and CH, which went find, but the CYA went down in doing that.

So I'm wondering if the CYA test reacts to TA and/or CH somehow.

I'm on the right path, I thought I would just leave a note: if your CYA is real high, you might make sure TA and CH are where you want before believing the CYA number, if you're using the K-2600C.

Thanks for all the great info!

Welcome to the forum!
TA and CH have no effect on CYA levels.
Your test results show a 40 CYA. Remember to round up if you fall between 30 and 40.
Can you fill out your signature? Really helps us help you.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks. I figured they didn't affect one another. What I am wondering is if they affect the K-2600C CYA test itself. I was pretty thorough and repeated the test several times and it clearly went from 45 (50?) to 35 (40) with no addition of CYA (was chlorinating with cal-hypo), but with 3 gallons of 31.45 muratic and 35 lbs of calcium chloride.

The test is in no way precise. As you do it over time, you will get more repeatable in your method.

There is a 50 ppm CYA standard solution you can get to check your testing technique on the CYA test if you'd like. I got it when I was wondering if I had been "reading" the test correctly. Turns out I had been, but it was well worth the peace of mind for a $6 add-on to a TFTestkits refill order.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.