7/2 SLAM (2 gallons of liquid stabilizer), 7/3 Results:
FC: 10.51 ppm
TC: 10.51
CC: 0
pH: 7
CH: 117
Alkalinity: 89
CYA: 35

7/5 Received the TF100 Kit and test the CYA level: Still see the black dot with the tube filled. Still SLAMMING around 15ppm FC. Added 1lbs of dry stabilizer using sock method.
7/6 AM: FC 13ppm, still SLAMMING and added 1 gallons to bring it to 19ppm to level with the dry stabilizer.
7/6: 3:30PM - did CYA test and still able to see the black dot. Is my test kit a dud? Should I take out the dry stabilizer or add more in? Pool is clearing up a bit but the deep-end is still cloudy. Been brushing and vacuuming 3x times today.

If your CYA was zero and you added 1 pound of stabilizer then that only added about 5 ppm. Test can't read lower than 20. I'm not sure what you think is wrong?

Also why are you bringing your FC up to 19?? You have no CYA,
your FC target is 10.

EDIT: Oh, I see you put that you added some liquid stabilizer. Don't hide stuff in pool store test results, we skip right over those. Well either the liquid CYA was not as strong as it should have been or it is not fully dissolved (yes, that is possible with liquid CYA). But no, melamine is quite stable, your test kit is working fine. You need more CYA but for now you can treat it as 20ish assuming the dot is at least somewhat obscured. That still means your FC should not be over 10.

ctrinh, looks like you added 2 gal liquid stabilizer which should have got you over 30 if i did poolmath correctly, as "verified" by the store test results 7/3. i'm not sure what you mean by "take out the dry stabilizer...". Double check your cya test procedures and try it again.

Don - The results from the pool did show it went to 35 the day after putting in 2 gallons of liquid stabilizer.
Pookie - I have 4lbs of dry stabilizer. Used 1lb last night using the sock method as the test stated that I am below CYA level (20 or less). Not too sure how that could happen even after putting in 2 gallons of stabilizer...

You had no cya and the pool store showed cya=2. So that makes sense.

Then you added 2 gallons of liquid which should have made cya=32 based on your pool size. The pool store read cya=35. So that makes sense also.

You know you have that much stabilizer because you added it.

Therefore I suspect testing error or bad reagent, I wouldn't keep adding CYA until you confirm your test procedure/reagents.

Please let me know if I am missing a step:
Fill with pool water to the bottom of the label
Fill to the top of the label with reagent
Shake for 30 seconds
Fill the viewing tube until black dot disappear

Pour results back into bottle, shake, repeat 2-4x times if results is not expected. :)

You want to test outside on a bright day - in full sun turn your back to the sun so your body shades the vial, hold the test vial with two fingers at waist level - then fill to each marked line, look away and then glance at it to see if the dot is visible or not - if you stare at it you can often still make out the dot versus a quick look/glance - once the dot is gone at one of the lines that is your result!

The test is the hardest test to get just right, but based on your additions you should see the dot completely go away at the 20 or 30 line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.