Pageland SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Screenshot_20200428-202927.png
Moved from here.

Not to argue with you, but I find conflicting information here and there. One source says to check cya at a glance, one says to stare for several seconds.

Also, my testing kit recommended doing all testing indoors for best accuracy, but other places state we should do it outside for best results (with regards to the CYA test of course). As a newcomer it can make it difficult to sift through and determine the best procedures.

That said, y'all don't seem to mind us asking questions and looking for clarification. That is much appreciated!

You bring up some valid concerns, and now we have to get back to work. :hammer: All kidding aside, we do like to see instructions standardized for consistency. We'll take a look at the various references. For some things, like staring at the dot, it has evolved over time due to personal opinions by owners who find better success one way or the other. Sometimes I'll keep my eye on the dot until it disappears, and other times I have to glance away briefly. Just a personal thing. But I think all are in agreement the outdoor (indirect) sunshine seems to provide the best results on the CYA test specifically.

But the forum is here for that very reason - to ask questions and clarify. Sometimes, a new member comes along and sees something the TFP veterans have read-over a hundred times. :crazy:

Reactions: mwemaxxowner
I find it much more convenient and just as accurate to perform the CYA test right at the garage workbench where I perform all the other tests. I used the Taylor 50ppm standard CYA test solution to establish a consistent 'disappearing dot' sight picture with the 50ppm test, barely visible at 40, gone at 50. This is with a 4' double tube LED workbench light more or less overhead. I look for the dot from about a foot away. Consistent conditions is the key, not, IMO, indirect daylight or a particular position to eye or body.

I understand better now, though. Technically the test should be accurate either way, some have just found more success one way vs the other.

I found a "Pentair" branded test online that I'm tempted to try. It's also a turbidity test, and it's similar, but it worked a little differently. There was a stick with a black line or something that you plunge below the surface of the solution in the test tube until it disappears, or something like that. The reviews had some folks saying they found it easier than the "disappearing black dot test" as some of them put it.

I dunno, probably money wasted. I just need to get more familiar with the one I have. I'm pretty certain I'm at 80 PPM. The last time I tested it I felt more confident.

Maxx,

I have the Pentair/Blue Devil, sliding stick CYA test kit and it is the one I use the most. It takes a lot more reagent and is less accurate as the CYA gets above 60 or so. I like that I can repeat the test over and over with same sample, without having to fill the test tube each time. All I care about is that my CYA is above 60 and less than 80, so it is my go to test. I buy the quart size reagent from amazon and it lasts me a year or more.. I have three saltwater pools so use more than most.

Just Like anything new, it takes a couple of tests to get the feel of how it works..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I too find the test more consistent indoors. When performing the test outside, the lighting changes constantly with the weather, time of day, body position, etc, all of which can affect results to some degree. Indoors, it's easy to create a rock solid environment that stays consistent each day, regardless of the sun / clouds or time of day.

I have always struggled with getting an accurate reading with this test and determining exactly when the dot disappears. I have to think that the margin of error on this test is huge and depends on your eyesight.

For most (including me) the cya test is the most difficult. I got the Pentair/Blue Devil kit and it helped me to compare the two readings. After seeing the results from both kits I now know when to read the result on a tf-100/Taylor 2006 type kit. The standard did not help me...I could still see the black dot quite clearly.

Reactions: ajup2it
I think what people mean is to do the test with the Pentair and determine that your CYA is 60. Then do the Taylor test and caibrate how much of the dot that you see, if any, at 60 and that will be how you judge it going forward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.