Just opened, CYA high...

ConnieStrnat

Aug 4, 2018
Indianapolis
I just opened my pool this morning. Everything looks good, circulating, water crystal clear, temp around 70 degrees. I just tested and here are the results: PH 7.8, FC 8.5, CC .5, TA 140, CYA 90.
Obviously my Total alkalinity and CYA are high. Could this be due to the temp? Just opened? Should I address these issues immediately, and if so, how? Water change? Thanks for your help!

I just opened my pool this morning. Everything looks good, circulating, water crystal clear, temp around 70 degrees. I just tested and here are the results: PH 7.8, FC 8.5, CC .5, TA 140, CYA 90.
Obviously my Total alkalinity and CYA are high. Could this be due to the temp? Just opened? Should I address these issues immediately, and if so, how? Water change? Thanks for your help!
Temp has nothing to do with high TA and CYA. Your TA may be high due to your fill water source. Your CYA is high because you've added it in some form.

How do you chlorinate your pool water?
Can you fill out your signature? See Create Your Signature - Further Reading
How do you chlorinate your pool water?
Can you fill out your signature? See Create Your Signature - Further Reading
I've had a problem with high CYA in the past, so I did a water change and brought it down. Since then I've been chlorinating with liquid chlorine mainly, and stabilized tabs occasionally. I keep a pretty close eye on it and didn't have any problems at all last season. When we closed, we raised the chlorine level with liquid as we always do to overwinter. When I opened yesterday, I tested everything and was surprised the CYA was high. I'm just asking if I should do a water change, or could there be another cause for the high number?

CYA only enters the pool if you add it. No other parameter causes the test to be in error. Very low temperature water (under 45F) can cause a low end result of CYA level.

Temp has nothing to do with high TA and CYA. Your TA may be high due to your fill water source. Your CYA is high because you've added it in some form.
I know temp doesn't raise TA or CYA, I just wondered if it affected the test result. As for adding CYA, I haven't added anything to the pool as I just opened it, and the chlorine added at closing was liquid, so no stabilizer. Everything tested fine at closing...

A variation in test values from closing to now could be from a test error or improper mixing. Now that the pool has been running for a number of hours, test the CYA again to see if you got an erroneous test yesterday.

CYA only enters the pool if you add it. No other parameter causes the test to be in error. Very low temperature water (under 45F) can cause a low end result of CYA level.
Did a 20% water change last night and let the system circulate overnight. Tested again this morning and my TA is higher, 160, CYA is the same, 90! I don't understand this at all. Nothing was added to the water since the change!!! I tested twice, same results. Very frustrating. Any ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm having a hard time myself with that test. I get frustrated enough that I want to call it useless sometimes. There is a shadow that gets cast into the vial that looks a lot like the dot to me. Until I get to the top and I realize what I'm looking at hasn't changed in several lines.

When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Reactions: mwemaxxowner
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.