CYA & TA levels

Jun 22, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Opened the (very green) vinyl pool just under two weeks ago. I'm just about crystal clear now. My TA levels were low around 40, so I added Trol that I had left over from the pool store & topped up with baking soda. However, every store in the neighbourhood is now out of baking soda! Last tested yesterday evening the TA was at 80. Still need to raise as soon as I can get my hands on more baking soda.

My CYA levels have lowered over the last couple of years & were reading at around 35 with the TA at 40. After adding the Trol/baking soda I'm getting a reading of CYA around 60. Is this change normal?

I assume it is the same thing as baking soda?

I was under the impression that TA levels should be 100-120, but now I see that 80 ppm is good. I'll check all the levels again this evening. But at last test:

FC 7.5
pH 7.5
CYA 60
CC 0.5
TC 8
TA 80
CH 175

My question was whether it was normal for an increase in TA to effect the CYA reading to that extent, as the CYA has been consistently around 30 - 40 for the last couple of years.

I've been using liquid chlorine exclusively for the last 4 years. In that time the CYA levels slowly dropped to around 30, so last year I added some stabilizer pucks for a while. After opening this spring the CYA readings have been consistently between the 30- 40 mark. Today was the first time the reading has been higher - just checked again & it appears to be 50. As you know, it's tricky to be exact, but it definitely appears to be higher than in my earlier readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.