CYA Starting point for SLAM - Salt Water

Hi guys,

I'm lining up for a SLAM at the moment due to a large dose of neglect over our Aussie winter coupled with an abnormally high dumping of leaves &c.

I haven't started the SLAM yet, I'm making sure I get my entry point numbers right first.
  • pH is currently 7.2 and I'm happy with that.
  • CYA I have been managing up from less than 30 a couple of days ago to 40 today. I'm expecting it to still drift up a bit after the dosage I gave it yesterday.
The Shock level page on this site only has 3 entries for CYA for a Salt pool - 60 (not recommended), 70 and 80

I normally keep my CYA around 75 during the summer months.
I've seen comments in various threads on here that say for a SLAM your CYA should be around 30-40.

So, my question is: Do I go by the Chlorine / CYA page on here and push my CYA up to 70 before I start, or do I leave it at around 40?
If the answer is to leave it at around 40, do I take the entry from the non SWCG pool table on that page to get my shock level of 16.

Obviously once I'm done I'll revert to my usual levels, I just want to be clear I don't over stabilise too early 'cos I know that will make it a more problematic process.

I apologise for my "rookiness", but I know there are enough smarts on here to get me through and I just want to make sure my entry point is right !!

Sal

Do not add more CYA! Keep it at 30 or so until you are done with the SLAM Process. Follow the non SWCG chart.

The salt in the water does not matter. It is how you are adding the chlorine that effects your [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] chart.

Thanks very much for that prompt reply, I will leave the CYA as is.
I'll be turning off the SWCG for the SLAM as recommended everywhere in here, I'm ignoring salt until this is done.

Will probably leave everything for now (its early afternoon here now) check CYA and pH again first thing tomorrow morning and then start. I'm home all week so can monitor and adjust easily.
Got lots of liquid chlorine on standby already and will clean filters tonight in preparation and have the brush and vacuum ready !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.