CYA Reading off

Jcciaschi

May 31, 2020
Richmond, VA
I need some help with a CYA reading I can't seem to figure out.

Opened the pool this spring and the CYA was 120. Pool store recommended a product that would reduce the CYA. We live on a well and having enough water trucked in would cost about $900 so we figured we would give the kit a try. After 3 weeks it sort of worked as the CYA came down to 110.

Later in the year I decided to buy a TF-100 kit so I could do a SLAM. I also took a sample to the pool store. All my readings were pretty much spot on with the pool store so I felt confidant all was good. I did the SLAM and all went well (over 40gal of bleach with such high CYA but it is still cheaper than $900 of water then a SLAM).

Two days after the SLAM finished we had a hurricane set to come through. I decided to take advantage of the 3"-6" of expected rain so I drained the pool 9" and figured I would fill the remainder with the hose. The hurricane came through and dropped 4". I was using the hose to fill when more rain arrived that week and filled the remainder of the pool. I did some math on pool size, volume, and CYA level and I calculated that the CYA should be at 90 after the drain and refill. I did a test and boo ya - the CYA was at 90. So the drain/refill worked and I can do math correctly!

But then it just kept raining. Everyday we had the threat of heavy rain and pretty much every day it rained. Over the course of 20 days we got over 17" or rain. Had I known we would get that much rain I would have drained the pool in advance again to lower the CYA more efficiently. In total I had to remove excess water from the pool about 3 times equating to about 6" of total water removal (though this water was diluted, drained, diluted, drained, etc). So again I did some quick math and calculated at BEST I would be at CYA 81.

I used the test kit and got a CYA of about 50. Not understanding, I completely did the test again and got around 50 again. I tried a third time with the same result. So we took a sample to the pool store and they calculated 84 which is in line with my calculations. It was a bir cloudy so I figured maybe that was the problem.

Days later I tested when it was sunny out and got about 50. Went on vacation for a week, came back, tested and got about 45-50. I dumped the solution in the bottle and re-read the results 3 times and each time I got about 50.

Why is my reading so off? It cant be the pool store as I was able to match their numbers earlier this year AND the math does not justify the CYA doping that much. We simply did not remove enough water to be at 50 yet. I have read the CYA test instructions, tried different angles, tried glancing at it, etc.

I would bet your reading is spot on. Pool store tests are notoriously unreliable and you consistently tested with a good kit at 50.

Between the water replacement, loss to elements, test variation of plus/minus 10, you could be at 50 easy enough.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Donldson
Don't fall in to the trap of thinking the reading that matches your assumptions must be the correct one. It's one of the first rules of data analysis, and it fits here quite well too.

So reading your answer, why do you think that 50 cannot be correct. You said the pool store, which everyone here will agree is not reliable and that you got lukcy the first time. But you also mention math. 17 inches is a lot of water to replace. Im not sure what depth your profile has but without doing any math, I coudl foresee this being a replacement of 33% to 45% of your pool water. Since you seems to be down 45%, this is consistent with what the math tells me.

A few notes, measurements over 100 are consisdered very inaccurate. Also, the scale is logarithmic, and somewhat subjective to the dot, so accuracy to the nearest 10 means that when you saw 90, it coudl have been 97, could have been 84, to make the math a bit more subjective.

As others have said, since you have tested so many times and seen about 50, I think this sounds accurate, and you are in great shape.

So reading your answer, why do you think that 50 cannot be correct. You said the pool store, which everyone here will agree is not reliable and that you got lukcy the first time. But you also mention math. 17 inches is a lot of water to replace. Im not sure what depth your profile has but without doing any math, I coudl foresee this being a replacement of 33% to 45% of your pool water. Since you seems to be down 45%, this is consistent with what the math tells me.

A few notes, measurements over 100 are consisdered very inaccurate. Also, the scale is logarithmic, and somewhat subjective to the dot, so accuracy to the nearest 10 means that when you saw 90, it coudl have been 97, could have been 84, to make the math a bit more subjective.

As others have said, since you have tested so many times and seen about 50, I think this sounds accurate, and you are in great shape.

For clarification of the drain fill process - I drained 9" and filled with rain/ hose and got a result of 90 with my test kit. That was as expected by my math. It then rained to dilute the water and I drained some. It then rained to dilute and I drained and then again rain and dilute. Each time the water is diluted the total % drop decreases. I removed about a total of 6" over a few days after the initial 9" removal. Even if I drained 6" (rater than dilute it) and let it refill I would be at a level of around 80. The difference between 50 and 80 is a lot. If it was a 10 point difference I wold be happy but I am at about 30-35 point difference.

Yes I am consistently getting 50 which is a good sign, but the math just doesn't works out. I should also mention I am an electrical engineer so calculations are part of my life and I nailed it the first time at 90.

Do you have the sample solution to test against? It will show you what 50 looks like.
Although I agree with all of above.

Pools mostly need like high school math accuracy (and not honors or A/P) and not college engineering. Don’t overthink it. Have a drink and go for a swim. You are in the ballpark.

Your math might not be as right as you think. If you started at 110, this is a huge red flag. The test stops being accurate at 100 from what I have learned. More than this is questionable. It might have been 120, 130, 170, etc. Since you are an engineer, its sort of like taking a length measurement, you are working with a 12 inch ruler, and you are trying to accurately measure something 17" long. You are left to guess,and that leaves a big accuracy hole.

So if this assumption is correct, and you follow the same math that you thought worked, the math might not be as right as you think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.