Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi TFP -- first month with new owner-build pool, and first month as a pool owner in general I'm testing pool daily (CH/PH), mostly so I have a feel for the rhythm.

I have the Taylor k-2005, but recently complemented the kit with the FAS-DPD test to kind of verify my ability to decipher the FAS test. I find the FAS test to be a lot more purple with the water sample and hard to compare the color range to the color indicator. That said, I feel better about it now with the FAS-DPD giving me confidence.

Ok, so here's my question. I have tested CYA 3 times. The first time I ever did the test I had low confidence in the process, but came up with "55". So I guess that means 60. A couple days later I took it to the pool store and they said it was 30. Honestly, I wasn't super confident in their test either, as another person behind the counter was correcting her interpretation of the CH levels. Ok fine. I have a range at least.

Two weeks later I lose about 1000 gallons after leaving the cleaner out of the water. Oops (lesson learned, will always unhook). I tested CYA again as a kind of controlled test, and came up with 35, but I'll call that 40. Now, I did get that number by shooting my phone light upwards in the tube. Had I not had the light, the number might've been higher. Note, I just discovered these instructions CYA Testing - Further Reading but only before I wrote this post.

So long story short, no matter how you slice and dice it, my CYA is likely lower than the recommendation for an SWG. However... I have been struggling a bit to keep FC down! I am in the Sacramento area, and the pool has >5 hours of direct sunlight, and temperatures range from 85-100 right now. I am surrounded by dozens of redwoods, but all are >30 feet away. Pool and spa are 20k gallons, and I have an IC40 with pump running about 11 hours a day. I have finally got chlorine lower by setting the SWG between 15% and 30%... finally settling on about 25%. This morning's CH reading is 3.4 using the FAS-DPD test. 3 days ago my CH was 4.0 and IC40 was set to 30% before I lost 1000 gallons.

My pool math would suggest I should lose about 1.5-2 PPM of chlorine a day, and should be running my pump about 50%. Pool seems to hold chlorine just fine, and I also have a Pentair BioShield. I now know the recommendation here about UV, but I have it and I'll assume it does something. :) -- ok so... my question (finally)... what purpose would bumping CYA up be to say 60-70, if water is clear at FC PPM of 3.0 (or less), and I don't seem to be burning through FC. Are there other reasons? Assuming my tests is reasonably accurate, is there any risk of leaving CYA at 30-50, if I want to keep FC down 2.5-3.0 and this seems to be working? Will I just be surprised eventually with an overnight bloom of something, even with the bioshield as a kind of backup/complement?

Reactions: Staceyleah22
The bioshield consumes chlorine. That is about all it does.

The CYA level is determined to maintain the least FC loss and have a sufficient amount of chlorine in reserve to handle organic loads put into the pool (bathers, birds, pets, etc).

You can run your CYA level at whatever you like. You must not get much direct sun or have had cloudy days to not have higher FC loss each day.

In the desert, if my CYA drops below 70 ppm, my FC loss jumps from about 3-4 ppm per day to 5++.

Reactions: n8mojo
A couple days later I took it to the pool store and they said it was 30
Don't have them test your water. It will only lead to confusion. You have the best CYA test available....trust the results.
but I'll call that 40. Now, I did get that number by shooting my phone light upwards in the tube. Had I not had the light, the number might've been higher
Follow the test directions for the CYA test.

The key to avoiding algae is to never allow FC to drop below the minimum for your CYA.

For the FC/CC test, use the 10mL water sample option to save reagents. One scoop of powder and multiply # of drops by 0.5 (or divide by 2).

Reactions: n8mojo
You can run your CYA level at whatever you like. You must not get much direct sun or have had cloudy days to not have higher FC loss each day.
Sun hits pool about 11am until sundown, but maybe it's not as direct as I think because I'm missing morning sun. On a day like today (mid 60s overnight and 100 in the day) the pool starts at about 77 degrees in AM and I expect the pool will get about 83-84 degrees by 3-4pm (medium blue pebble finish).

Any ways, perhaps to your point, whatever is causing the low FC loss I guess I'm fine with. I think my interpretation of CYA level is you can keep it as low as you want, if you're willing to add the chlorine to adjust for loss. I'll keep my eye on the IC40 at 25% and adjust CYA levels if we start running it more than 50% at my current pump runtime (11 hours). I think that is a reasonable setting for a 20k gallon pool.

I'll also adjust my test to the evening going forward when my pump stops and the sun is down. The pump is running in the morning when I test and I might be getting elevated levels due to the water flow?

Random other observation I made. I calculated about 1000 gallons of water loss, and thus assumed my salt levels would drop from 3600 to 3400 as reported by the IC40. Today my salt levels read 3350. So maybe a win for accuracy on the IC40!

Interesting read. Adding here for my own posterity! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.