CYA Levels

sugast

Nov 21, 2018
Dallas, TX
My pool is 1 year old. I'm using an in-line chlorinator with 3 inch tabs. I've been studying the TFP method and have learned the tabs add CYA over time. My questions is how can the CYA only be 60 after using the tabs religiously for a year? Shouldn't it be higher? I live in Dallas and the pool is in direct sunlight all day. I've never drained and refilled but the evaporation causes me to add water often. My guess is that's serves as an ongoing drain and refill. Is my logic correct?

Before you guys scold me about using the tabs over chlorine, here's why. I travel a lot and can't add the liquid chlorine daily. Also, is there a CYA/FC chart based on using tabs versus liquid? I'm following the rest of the TFP method!

Evaporation and refill will not lower the CYA. Do you get enough rain to offset the CYA rise? Hot water and a lot of sun can lead to some degradation of the CYA in the pool. Perhaps up around 10ppm per month.

There is no separate chart. The FC / CYA relationship is valid regardless of the source of chlorine.

I know...I'm anxious to see the difference! Quick question on the CYA/FC chart: It says that my target FC is 7-9 since my CYA is 60. Currently, I'm at 4. Should I use liquid chlorine to boost it that high? I'm not sure my in-line will get it that high because I already have it on a flow setting of 4 and the highest flow is 5.

Also, the chart shows my slam level FC should be 24. How long does it have to be at that level and how do you know when it's time to slam? Thanks!

Yes use liquid chlorine to get the FC up asap. You should really stop using the tablets if your CYA is really that high.

You only need the SLAM process of you see algae, or your water turns cloudy, or you get significant CC showing up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.