CYA is <20 (looks like less than 10)

May 5, 2017
North Jersey
So over the winter i had to drain my pool down twice (between closing and the 2 drainings, as well as the vacuum of leaves probably took out close to 4 feet). As a result my chlorine is flying out and my CYA test filled up the cylinder today and was still showing a visible black dot. I assume i am at less than 10.
I generally add liquid chlorine but i do have some pucks left over from the previous owner (about 2 years old now).
1. Can i raise the CYA with the pucks?
2. will 2 year old pucks work?
3. The pool is about 27,000 gallons, so how many pucks would i need?
4. If pucks are not the way to go, what is the recommended dry stabilizer (or is wet better)? DO i get at home depot/lowes or amazon?

Thannks all!

Hi, when using pucks, for every 3 ppm of FC, the puck adds 1.8 ppm of CYA. So it will take a lot of them in your 27000 gallons to get your CYA up to a reasonable level, and its a slow rise also. If you need to raise the CYA a lot in a short time, which you seem to need its best to just use CYA to do it.

And if the black dot is still visible with the tube full, it's less than 10, so effectively call it 0.

I cant answer the question about 2 year old pucks.
Any brand of CYA is fine. We usually recommend whichever is less expensive, which is usually Wal Mart. You can get it those other places you mentioned too and at the dreaded $$$ pool store.

Liquid "stabilizer" is not better, its only faster, and it costs a LOT more than dry cya.

One member had an issue recently with that brand. The company mis labeled the product. The member ordered CYA and got sent baking soda.

But hopefully that is a one off problem. Many other members have used the brand without issue.

Use PoolMath. For a 25,000 gallon pool you need 10lbs to get to CYA 50.

Reports are the Puritech is slow to dissolve compared to other brands.

If you are near Cresskill I can give you a pool store that has good prices on stabilizer.

Im about 25 minutes away.
Based on above i have to assume i am at 0 PPM since i saw the black dot with a full cylinder. so id need 2.5 lbs for 25,000. I am somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 based on my calculations (20x40) ranging from about 3 feet to about 6+ feet. I'd rather be safe and have more if needed. id obviously go slow.
How much does the cresskill place charge?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I prefer the skimmer but either is fine. I put it in the skimmer and kneel down and massage and work the sock until it's dissolved. Just make sure it doesn't block the flow completely if you do it that way. If you do hang it in front of a return make sure there are no holes in the sock/stocking AT ALL and that it's secure, as in not going to be knocked into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.