CYA in Sock

joronimo

Jun 4, 2019
Phoenix, Az
I need to add CYA occasionally and have in the past split my amount between broadcast in deep end (as instructed on package) and in skimmer basket. I hear on hear to "put it in a sock" either in front of a return jet or in the skimmer.

Is the "sock" just a sock for your foot? Or is this like a skimmer basket liner?

Thanks!

Best is a knee high nylon stocking or other thin nylon sock. Put the CYA in it (usually will hold at most 2 lbs.) and put in the skimmer. Squeeze it a few times and it should dissolve away in a few hours with the pump running.

I need to add CYA occasionally and have in the past split my amount between broadcast in deep end (as instructed on package) and in skimmer basket. I hear on hear to "put it in a sock" either in front of a return jet or in the skimmer.

Is the "sock" just a sock for your foot? Or is this like a skimmer basket liner?

Thanks!
Yes.

Anything will work. Tossing it in the pool means it settles and sits and may leave freckles. If you pour it down the skimmer, and you need to backwash, you'll lose it. You might also clog the plumbing. Put it in a nylon, or a sock, or a hairnet, anything to keep it off the floor and out of the filter while it dissolves will work.

I like to tie my sock behind my suction-side cleaner. This really spreads the stabilizer nice, and it helps to weight the vacuum head down, keeping it on the floor more and less on the sides, and prevents it from flipping over upside-down.

Just be sure to add a little less than your calculations prescribe, and monitor your CYA levels while the sock is in the water. A CYA of 'zero' is rarely truly zero, and it's easy to get a CYA result of 60 -80 when you're only wanting a 30-40.

Reactions: mknauss
Another method is to suspend the sock from a small innertube / ring float and let the wave action of the water disperse the agent. Anytime you can suspend your chemical instead of just dumping it on the pool bottom is way better.

I use a regular athletic sock, pour the CYA in and tie a string to close it and attach it to a scrap 1x2 stick that I weight down with a brick so the sock is suspended about a foot in front of the return jet so it's pushed by the stream. I squeeze the sock every once in a while -- a sockful seems to dissolve in a few hours, and the resultant CYA level is measurable that day or the next (but I wouldn't add the next round until testing after a few days).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.