CYA...how soon can water be tested after adding powder?

JWLuke

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2018
SE, Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I added three pounds of cya yesterday in a sock in front of a return. I squeezed the sock until all granules were dissolved. The sock is now empty and the pool has been circulating for over 24hrs. How soon should I expect to see results? I read that it can take up to a week but if it is all dissolved shouldn’t it register right away? I didn’t put any in the skimmer all was dissolved in front of the return.

Why are you in a rush to test the CYA? Assume the amount you added is in the water and adjust your FC level accordingly. It should not take a week using the sock method. But it can take 2 or 3 days to totally dissolve depending on the pool. So rather then waste reagent testing too soon give it a few days.

Last edited:
I agree. The week-long wait thing was primarily for those people who mistakenly dumped stabilizer directly into the skimmer without dissolving first, so we didn't want them to backwash or clean the filter too soon thereby washing away the granules. But once the sock is empty, you should be good. We did a study about 3 years ago and I believe most CYA results met their goal in that 24 - 48 hour time frame.

When you say “it can take 2-3 days to totally dissolve“, do you mean that once it has dissolved from the sock it still has to dissolve some more while it is in the water? Just confused on the terminology. I’m just trying to raise it to keep from having to use as much LC with this hot summer sun. I seem to be using a lot more this season. I checked it Friday and it was at 20 shooting for 30 and then maybe 40. Trying to find where I need to be. I’m a little leary of CYA because that’s what brought me here three years ago but I’m glad I found this place, it has opened my eyes to pool chemistry.

Yes, even after the stabilizer dissolves from the sock and cannot be seen it needs to dissolve more to spread chemically throughout the water. Be patient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.