Charleston, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I've been following the recommended ranges for chemicals listed on TFP and the app. Last summer, when I kept the CYA around 70, I had difficulty keep the FC towards the top end of the recommended range. It keep falling and I had to add bleach to keep it up, even with the salt cell running at 100% for 16 hours. Around August, I dropped the CYA to 50 and found it much easier to maintain the top end (around 8). I only need the salt cell to run at 80% for 16 hours and don't need to add bleach. So far this year, I'm having similar results.

I feel like CYA is something you just need to experiment with until you get it right. There's so many factors that can affect FC levels and I found that 50 worked for us without any issue.

I suppose yours is one of those scenarios where all we can say is, "If it works for you, fantastic." :goodjob: We always say each pool is different. In my case, if my CYA drops below 70, my FC immediately shows the effects by falling. The TX summer heat & sun is just too much.

While you seem to have a handle on things, some key thoughts about a struggling FC could also be:
- SWG showing signs of malfunction
- Salt level low
- Early signs of algae (do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test)
- Inconsistent FC testing

By the way, you mention using the APP but your test logs aren't visible. Did you know you can go to the Poolmath settings and link your test logs to your TFP profile? A convenient way to share your testing history. Have a nice & safe Memorial Day. :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.