CYA drop from 50 to 30 seem right over the winter?

Jimharris99

Gold Supporter
May 29, 2020
Prosper, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Joined TFP last summer, so still learning a few things. Got my CYA to about 50 last summer where it held well, joined TFP, switched to liquid chlorine, all that stuff. Live in Texas, went through the storm last month...tested just a second ago and CYA is at 30. Doesn’t shock me I suppose with all the snow and dilution and such, but curious what others think. All other numbers are good. Water temp is 63 currently. Got the refill kit a week or so ago as well, so I’m using new R-0013.

Just feels weird to be this low compared to my “pool store customer” norm of 90+ (thanks smeslie’s).

Thanks!
Jim

Cool, thanks. Good to know. I’ve got just a few pucks left over. Not sure it’s worth raising from 30 to 40, but if I did, ok to use some leftover pucks (they aren’t any “blue” brand), or easier to just go granular and the sock method?

Thanks!

Reactions: markayash
Mine dropped this winter also which I s different but first winter after converting to salt.
I don’t see any harm in using the pucks to keep FC up and add a little stabilizer.
I actually bought a couple myself 😀

Granular will raise the CYA much more quickly than pucks which dissolve slowly and add a few
ppm of cyanuric acid each. Since you already have the chlorinator (like many of us!) you could save the pucks
for vacation chlorination unless you have another solution for that. No problem either way you choose!

And the CYA loss you're experiencing is not out of the ordinary. 🙂

*squeezes in the door just in time as it closes*

Sorry professor, Bohemian Rhapsody came on as I was parking and you just CAN’T turn that song off. You just can’t.

OF COURSE I sang all 4 parts, why would you even ask such a ridiculous question.......

Anywho, you can expect a 3- 5ppm monthly loss in CYA to normal degradation. More for rain, but that’s much less extra for you. I would close at 80 in the northeast and open to a 20 thanks to 36 inches of off-season rain.

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry professor, Bohemian Rhapsody came on as I was parking and you just CAN’T turn that song off. You just can’t.
Hopefully you didn't kill anyone, but did you do the "Fahn-Dahngo"... where there "Thunderbolts and Lighting"?... Will you change your screen name to Scaramoosh!?

I heard Covid Vaccinations will give you those sort of hallucinations... ;)

Last edited:
*squeezes in the door just in time as it closes*

OF COURSE I sang all 4 parts, why would you even ask such a ridiculous question.......

Anywho, you can expect a 3- 5ppm monthly loss in CYA to normal degradation. More for rain, but that’s much less extra for you. I would close at 80 in the northeast and open to a 20 thanks to 36 inches of off-season rain.
Music today has lost it's soul compared to that era. I was rocking out to Styx yesterday while working.
That was a cool movie also :)

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.