CYA Disappearing quickly

Boomhauer01

Jul 6, 2020
I can’t keep the CYA level up enough to keep the chlorine from getting eaten up by the sun. Has anyone else ever had problems keeping it up? What makes it go away? I am not backwashing much or draining and filling the pool. The guys at Leslies are perplexed but just want to sell me more CYA. Central Texas location so lots of sun.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: My first suggestion would be to not trust what the pool store says. Test your own water with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. That's extremely important. Interestingly enough the CYA test often flawed at pool stores. I could easily see them telling you (and selling you) to add more stabilizer only to find out in a couple weeks the CYA is too high then you need to drain water.

Stick around, post your own reliable test numbers, and we'll be happy to help.

Helps if you fill out your pool equipment and pool type info. Without that, it’s hard to know how to best advise.

CYA does not leave the water. It only goes away through removal of water and refill with fresh water. So either it’s a testing error (highly likely) OR your pool has a leak.

Isn't there something about ammonia and CYA breaking down or getting used up by the ammonia?

Bacteria can sometimes grow in a winterized pools with a cover on and it can use CYA as an energy source (food) with the byproduct being ammonia. But that can not happen easily in a chlorinated pool.

Reactions: NowintersinAZ
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.