CYA disappeared

tomsmom

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2012
Katy, TX
FC at 5, no CC's but CYA is not showing up. Thought I might have black algae on the 1st so added 2 gallons of bleach (12 1/2 %) daily and brushed for 2 days. Left town for 4 days had neighbor add 2 gallons a day until I got back. Back yesterday and CYA not showing, we had maybe an inch of rain but pool water isn't low. Do I just add more conditioner (CYA). The water looks OK and still gonna keep brushing for a few days but not sure of the Black Algae

Can you post a full set of test results?
Had you tested CYA in the water recently?

What test kit are you using?

Post a complete set of test results.

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

I was wondering about my own CYA levels given my tests and what I was seeing from various pool store test results. My reagent was just over the expiration date on the bottle. I was at 20 with the 'recently' expired reagent. I purchased a new bottle of reagent and it tested at 40. Maybe you have a similar issue with your reagent?

The R0013 reagent for CYA testing is very stable. Unless it has been frozen it should be fine.

You should not have lost your CYA completely in a few days.
What does your water look like? Why are you talking about black algae?

Did you repeat the CYA test to make sure it wasn’t a testing error?

I always test first then retest and then Leslie's if things are totally out of the norm. Bought new regent to be sure also. I noticed a few black spots in the bottom of the pool and hot tub when preparing to leave town last week, they brushed off pretty easily, but could not be sure if it was bird poop or black algae. Didn't want to chance it, so upped the chlorine while gone

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my weather gauge shows I had about an inch of rain but that usually doesn't effect my CYA like that.

Marty is asking what the pool water looks like? Crystal clear? Cloudy? Can you see if a coin is heads or tails on the bottom of the pool? Any unusual spots or dust on the surfaces?

Post some pics of the pool and show how it looks.

Great. I would add 20 ppm CYA via the sock method, treat the pool as if it has 40 ppm CYA, and test your CYA 24 hours after the CYA is fully dissolved from the sock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.