CYA Decreased After SLAM

Van G

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Toronto
Had to SLAM our pool last week due to SWGC being dirty and not producing enough chlorine + roookie mistake on not adding bleach after a few big parties...

Anyway, coming down from SLAM at 24 PPM:

FC 8
CC .5
PH 7.4
CH 100
CYA 35
TA 90
Salt 1800

Everything is where I thought it would be but CYA, which was 60 when pre-slam.

I did just add a few inches of water and let it mix for an hour.

Would a SLAM burn off CYA?

CYA can degrade some naturally. Elevated water temperatures accelerates it a bit.

Your CYA test is 40 ppm (round up). The test is at best a +/-10 ppm accuracy. How long ago did you measure the 60 ppm?

Increased FC levels can lead to the CYA breaking down more quickly, but it would not think it would be 25ppm in a matter of a week.

Typical degradation due to hot sunny summer dats is like 5-10ppm in a month.

It was 60 ppm 2 weeks ago.

I’ll test again this morning.

What is the shelf life of liquid cyanuric acid? Wal-mart sells it in gallon jug and it would seem to be the more efficient way to go if It stays good for a season or more.

The liquid conditioner will stay effective for more than one season. It can settle in the bottle so it is best to use the entire bottle when you need it.

CYA was 45 this morning. Tough test to get the hang of!

We had a good rain this afternoon which added a few inches to the pool so i’ll test again and add some stabilizer tomorrow.

Side question: after a pool party or after a rain storm, how much chlorine do you add to help the SWGC out? 1L/10K Gal

Take it up a few extra ppm and you should be fine.

BTW, the scale isn’t linear, so if it’s between two levels just round it up. Use 50ppm for your CYA calcs.

Reactions: Van G
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.