Mesa, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-20
First post! Following you guys for a few weeks now. Love the info. Just converted from inline chlorinator to an SJ-20. Currently getting everything in balance now. However, I saw all your recommendations for around 70-80ppm for cya and the manual says 30-50. So I figured it can’t hurt to ask them why and they sent me this interesting article explaining why. Said it’s the new industry standard. Being in AZ, I still want to be on the higher end of cya because it’s AZ, but what are your guys thoughts on this article. Apologies if it’s somewhere else on the forum, couldn’t find it though….

Minimal CYA | Pillar 4

There is some good information there, but they are picking and choosing bit's and pieces from many locations but not cooelating it together. I will point out, their information showing the Source: Chlorine/CYA and Nitrogen Trichloride - Falk, Richard A. Richard Faulk is know as @chem geek in this group and helped for many years.

They are telling you to reduce CYA so you can stay within the EPA maximum of 4 ppm free chlorine. They fail to note that the EPA maximum of FC 4 is with no CYA.

With the thousands of pools we have helped with we have found that keeping the CYA higher in a SWCG pool allows the SWCG to run less. Seems counter intuitive, but it works out. While a higher CYA requires a higher FC level you have less loss. Thus your required production each day is less with a higher CYA.

Much of this is discussed in the Deep End portion of our forum including much of Chem Geek's work.

Reactions: Tsteiny
Welcome to the forum.
A recent thread discussed the same thing.

Welcome! :wave: I'll add that there are various sources for the Circupool manual online. Some of them still show the generic "industry standard" levels (for all chemical levels) but some of the newer manuals do acknowledge what TFP has been stating for years - that an elevated CYA level is better for SWG systems. Below is a snip I grabbed from once RF-45 owners manual.

CaptureCYA.JPG

Awesome! Thanks everyone! I kinda thought that the article was a general overview of mutiple things just wanted to ask you guys since you are all a heck of a that more knowledgeable than I am on this. I think I’ll start with 70 cya and go from there.

I’ll be sure to check out more of the deep end too.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.