Cutting the cord-anybody else?

You might be surprised how that old antenna picks up digital tv.
I actually bought a newer/ little bit smaller rca antenna to put up there. I tried it out in the living room first & it picked up all the same channels w/ more bars for some when raised up near the ceiling.
Unfortunately before I could get it installed in the attic my husband gave it to a friend so they could watch football games in his garage 😩 i must procure a new one ….

Side note : anyone watch the man-pocolypse show on Hulu where all the dudes died ? Al Bundy called that stuff 35 years ago..... the inevitable tribe that formed even called themselves the Amazonionian Master hood.

View attachment 390174
No - but this interests me…. I will put it on the list!

Several people have recommended to go to YouTubeTV - is it really that good?
It’s almost just like cable. You can try it free for 2 weeks, which is what we did. My wife was reluctant, but actually likes it better than cable. I think Hulu is the same price and you get all of their content, so it’s a better value, but reviews say their TV is a little more complicated to use, which is a non-starter in our house. Plus, we have Hulu for $0.99/month for a year, so I figured I’d go with YouTube until that promo runs out. Might switch to Hulu at that point if we like the content enough and pricing is still equal.

Where can I get one? Are they easy to install? Do they work on a typical flat screen TV? Is it the giant old school kind that goes on the roof?
We had an HD attic antenna in a 2nd home and it worked great. I had it professionally installed, but I think total price was something like $250. Crystal clear pictures and about 30 channels, most of which were useless, but the local major networks gave me news and most live sports. I tried one of those flat plastic antennas a few years back and it was a total pain. Worse than the old rabbit ears. They may have improved since then.

Reactions: HermanTX and kul
Will have to check the guide feature out
FYI - you have to customize the guide via the app on a phone or tablet. You can’t do it directly on the TV. Once I figured that out, it was a snap. You uncheck the channels you don’t want to see and can organize the ones you keep in any order you want by dragging them up or down. Even without that, the YouTube guide is smart enough that it organized itself based on what you watch most frequently, as those channels will start to float to the top. It’s actually pretty cool.

Called Y: the last man. It was a neat spin on the typical apocalypse genre.
I started this last night. Only made it through 1 episode, but I liked it! Thanks for the recommendation! However, it also reminded me why I don’t make it very far with Hulu content. I have the $0.99/month promo which includes commercials - lots of them. Took me something like 90 minutes to get through first episode, but I also took a phone call, so hopefully that’s an outlier.

Reactions: Newdude
Took me something like 90 minutes to get through first episode
That seems high so hopefully it was a glitch. I get 2 quick commercials at the beginning and a couple of similar quick breaks mid show. It still WHOOPS the 9 min Walking dead episodes that last 1 hour 12 minutes.

Oooooooooo it's Daryl !!!!
*5 commercials*
He's gonna speak
*6 commercials *
Daryl : 'Uh-huh, I reckon'
*4 commercials*
End credits
*6 commercials*
:laughblue:

Last edited:
We cut the cord a few years back. I started with Playstation Vue which I really liked but they shut it down. Then I did YouTube TV which I also liked until the price jumped to $70 a month. Right now I have Sling Blue with whatever add on includes TCM, but I rarely watch it so I'm thinking of getting rid of it altogether. I have Amazon prime because I shop there a lot, Netflix because my son pays for it, Hulu/Disney Plus/ESPN, and HBO Max because another son pays for that. I use an over the air antenna for local channels. I have a streaming box and free Peacock premium streaming service from my internet provider, Comcast.

I would say the key to successful cord cutting is getting a good streaming device. When I got Sling it came with a Tivo Live streaming box that was difficult to use and stopped working after 2 months. I have an old 2nd generation Apple TV that was a pain to use and the tiny remote kept getting lost. I also have a Chromecast that I hate with the passion of a thousand burning suns. I don't get great signal in my room and it would constantly drop or buffer forever, or the phone app that controls it would stop working and I'd have to download it all over again. The free box I got from Comcast has a long enough cord I can move it to where it gets a good signal. Our main TV has a Roku box and it works very well. It can show all our streaming services and has its own selection of free programing to choose from too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We cut the cord a few years back. I started with Playstation Vue which I really liked but they shut it down. Then I did YouTube TV which I also liked until the price jumped to $70 a month. Right now I have Sling Blue with whatever add on includes TCM, but I rarely watch it so I'm thinking of getting rid of it altogether. I have Amazon prime because I shop there a lot, Netflix because my son pays for it, Hulu/Disney Plus/ESPN, and HBO Max because another son pays for that. I use an over the air antenna for local channels. I have a streaming box and free Peacock premium streaming service from my internet provider, Comcast.

I would say the key to successful cord cutting is getting a good streaming device. When I got Sling it came with a Tivo Live streaming box that was difficult to use and stopped working after 2 months. I have an old 2nd generation Apple TV that was a pain to use and the tiny remote kept getting lost. I also have a Chromecast that I hate with the passion of a thousand burning suns. I don't get great signal in my room and it would constantly drop or buffer forever, or the phone app that controls it would stop working and I'd have to download it all over again. The free box I got from Comcast has a long enough cord I can move it to where it gets a good signal. Our main TV has a Roku box and it works very well. It can show all our streaming services and has its own selection of free programing to choose from too.
I agree- streaming services change their programming content regularly so having a device that can access the most services so you can change up is important. I have been very happy with the plethora of popular apps available for roku ecosystem. Their tv’s & their individual devices are pretty on par with each other. Only some of the very oldest devices no longer have support for a few things.
You can buy in to the roku ecosystem for $20. Apple tv - not so much. The same plethora of choices cannot be said with other “smart tv’s” as their app stores often have limited choices due to the fact they don’t update their App Store or don’t have deals with certain providers.
My mom has a vizio smart tv in her spare bedroom- it gets hulu & Netflix as well as a few other random apps - none of the other newer services available. If I recall my older fire stick was missing some key apps as well & of course it was very amazon centric. It also had connection issues - this may not be the case with the newer versions.
I like the fact that if i go on vacation I can just take my roku stick with me as most vacation homes & hotels have wifi. We’ll see how the roku tv’s hold up with compatibility/access but so far I’m a couple years in with the 1st one & I really like having only 1 remote & not having to switch inputs. It makes things much more seamless. Also the integrated guide w/ live tv + free streaming channels is nice.

Reactions: jark87 and Newdude
Roku has a lot going for it. If you really want to go low budget, Roku alone has some decent content on the Roku channel, including live TV. So you could buy a Roku device and pay $0 subscription fees and have better/more options than what I grew up with. Add an HD antenna for local broadcasts and you’re set.

IKR - Our kids will never know the plight of having only 3 channels that also cut off at a certain time every night.
Now There are endless choices & everyone is accustomed to 1000 channels & every thing on demand whenever they want. It can be overwhelming for sure.

Reactions: Newdude
Most of em were 10 PM IIRC. Just a video of the American flag for the next umpteen hours.
Midnight growing up with the flag. I think I remember some with snow after a while. My God can you imagine if the internet did as well, perhaps some more civility would return!!

I cut Comcast when I moved in 2015.
Then did sling TV blue with the Amazon firetv box and Amazon prime video. also have an airtv for over the air channels, similar to the homerun tuner/dvr. Last year I realized pluto.tv which is free and is very much like sling, only real difference is Pluto plays commercials on the movie channels. So I cancelled sling and have been happy w just that and prime. There's a Roku app for firetv that has a lot of great movies and old 1960-1990's tv show content as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.