Cutting PVC vs using old pump joints?

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
Attached is my current set up. The plan is to replace a single-speed pump (Hayward TrisStar SP3207Z1BE) with a VS pump (Hayward TriStar SP3202VSP). One of the reasons I chose this pump was because I was advised that swapping one Tristar with another is an easy DIY task. I thought I could just unscrew the joints, but everything appears to be glued in. Will I have to cut the 1 1/2" PVC pipe and get new 1 1/2" to 2" converters or will I be able to use the joints from the previous pump? I am trying to avoid dealing with cutting PVC as I have no experience with it and have no idea how complicated it would be.

Attachments

• pmp.jpg
    pmp.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 31
A,

It appears to me that your pump has unions... :scratch:

On the input, the black fitting right up tight against the input side of the pump. I can't tell about the output, but it would be odd not to have them both the same.

If they are unions, you just unscrew them..

Thanks,

Jim R.

A large pair of Channlelock type pliers will work. Do not squeeze the union nut any harder than necessary to get a grip.

If you squeeze too hard, the union nut will be deformed and it won't turn. It might even break.

If the pump overflows with the lid off, you have to rotate the valve handle to point up.

That way the Off part of the handle will block the flow of water into the line going into the pump.

The valve probably has "stops" that limit the amount you can turn the handle.

To get past the stops, remove the thumbscrew and lift the handle up just enough to clear the stops.

If not too late, make note of the position of the valve so you can return it there when done: pieces of tape, a marker, etc.

Oh, and be sure to shut off all circuit breakers to the pump/pool before working on it. Don't just trust the timer mechanism or other switches. You don't want the pump to fire up during the process.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.