North Dallas, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Do any folks have experience building a Pool Handrail? Looking to create an arch from 2inch by .5inch Stainless Steel (Marine Grade) very rough diagram - looking for comments on this approach?1607631972416.png

OOoooh, I love it! Do you plan on doing the welding and bending yourself? The pool market is finally coming to realize people want more artistic hand rails and there are some out on the market now. Have you seen those?

I like your motto- "Novice but spending freely"...... Our @kimkats would be all over this to help you, given the chance.

Keep us posted on how this works out.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: rellumd
No will have a pro fabricate. I will polish it to a mirror finish. Finding someone to bend the bar has been the hard part - started with a 2x1 inch bar no takers for that, so had to go to .5. I am concerned about flex over a 6-foot span. Looked at the market but nothing really says "Hello".

Oh my that is going to be neat when you get it done!

My first thought it is going to have to be DEEP in the ground on that end. Looks like you have that covered with the footer, welded plate, and it being 1' deep.

So my next question/concern is how are you going to finish the pool end? I do worry about someone coming up under the end and hurting their head.

Oh my that is going to be neat when you get it done!

My first thought it is going to have to be DEEP in the ground on that end. Looks like you have that covered with the footer, welded plate, and it being 1' deep.

So my next question/concern is how are you going to finish the pool end? I do worry about someone coming up under the end and hurting their head.

The plan for the footer is a 2-foot by 2-foot by 2-foot cube with some steel. We will also Bond to the pool frame.

Last edited:
The pool end will be 2 or 3 inches above the pool water level. This is a Baja shelf area about 14 -16 inches deep and extends another 3 feet to the shallow end. I anticipate we will have an 18-inch gap between the Baja shelf floor and the end of the rail. We will have a pool umbrella just a few inches from the end of the rail on the Baja shelf (removable) that should discourage someone from trying to get under the pool end of the rail.

The fabricator said he thinks the rail will flex ("....could be flex city") This is my biggest concern, some movement is OK I think, but if it acts like a wet straw or pool noodle it will fail. Overall the rail is about 150Lbs, so it is a substantial piece of solid steel, I doubt it will break with people hanging on it. If it flexes down an inch or less will I be happy? hard to tell.

Just for interest fabrication and material without install and polish is just over $1K.

I could anchor both sides but it loses some of the wow factor, for sure.

Couple observations:
1) Part of rail that is underground is not going to counterbalance end of rail. As stated above a deep footing, at least 36" with significant mass 12-18" dia. is needed. Instead of expansion bolts, embedded j-bolts (foundation) or a welded formation that is tied to rebar.
2) If railing ends above water there is a potential for entrapment or impalement. Check with AHJ if allowable. Typically end either needs to end on pool surface or needs to curve back to rail above surface.
3) Rail can be stiffened by inserting angle prior to bending, then plug welding rail to angle after bending.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.