Jacksonville FL Pool Build

malf

Jan 18, 2023
NE Florida
alright... definitely jumped the gun last year, but thinking we are ready now.
Went through DIY Pools and Spas for construction plans, engineering and consult with a new design. Bigger pool and simpler construction.
Hoping to break ground by June 1st.

We are allowed one more revision before submitting for engineering, so I am starting this thread to document progress and for requesting feedback.

A mental note to myself on topics I'd like to expand on with this group:
1- High water table - typical dewatering process during construction
2- Retaining wall - CMU vs Cast in Place
3- Retaining wall first, use pool dig to backfill? Acceptable and worth any potential savings?
4- Deck grading - thinking 2% away from house til midpoint then back up
5- Depths - pool, spa, baja shelfs, seats
6- Plumbing diagram
7- Light configuration
8- Equipment selection

He has some great ideas up there. One thing I would change is the bench at the far end. That messes with your swim lane. I also worry about any one jumping in at that end hitting it if they don't jump far enough out.

thank you!
sent in the approval to move forward with construction plans. I figured that all of these adjustments (seat height, removing bench, adding step) can be done after the fact.
Hoping to hear back within 5 days to put together the permit app

1714422718380.pngA suggestion for the Spa, and maybe the Pool, is these Channel Drains. I don't know how many times my wife and I, have tripped over or smashed our toes and spilled a beverage in a Spa, on those huge raised white suction/drain covers. What's also nice about them is you can make them match the plaster, tile, etc. and they do help with removing debris, although that may be a subject for debate.

1714423489659.png

Here's a video of one in use.

Last edited:
Posting an update... but not much of an update....
Received the draft construction plans from DIY pools and had a couple of revisions to make, namely the removal of the deep end bench as suggested above
I have also asked them to remove the fire pit and outdoor kitchen to be executed in a later phase by me... so that plans show what I need contractors to be pricing.

I do plan on using a linear drain in the SPA (and pool if there is not much of a cost difference). thank you for the suggestion as well!

I should get this revision in the next couple of days and will submit for engineering... hoping to have the permit package completed and submitted by the 24th... this back and forth of revisions is taking longer than I expected... seems that every contact with them comes with the standard "please allow 3-5 business days"... first plans took 7 business days. Not too impressed with that so far.
So our new timeline has me breaking ground July 1st... oh well!