Crystal clear pool but lots surface dust

Jan 14, 2019
Baton Rouge La
So glad I found this forum. My pool has been so awesome and crystal clear since the builders turned it over. Maybe too good.

Now I can see what looks like dust motes in sunlight, just on the very surface. Its way too small for the net. Is this something that just happens since it’s outdoor w/ no cover. Or is my pool not running long/high enough?

My Polaris runs 6am-10am and pool runs at 40gpm 6am-5pm every day.

I am attaching a photo, you can see it in the shadowed area.
B99C970E-43A0-4E3A-A539-25F1E339FA60.jpeg

Could be pollen. Or insects. Lots of stuff falls into the water. Over time your skimmer or pool cleaner picks it up. I would not worry about it.

Pool looks great!

Beautiful pool. As for the clouds you noted, it's hard to know without more info:
- Please provide a full set of test results
- Is that staining on the walls? Discoloration? Maybe an optical illusion from the photo?
- 2019 pool should mean lots of brushing. The curing process will be several weeks. When exactly was the pool completed?
- Are you noticing any increases in your filter pressure (psi)? Do you know the baseline (clean/starting prssure) versus when it requires a backwash at about 20% higher?

Reactions: splashpad
Yup, its pollen season here in GA so I know you've got it too! You can spot pollen as it rests on *everything* including the water......your car, the patio furniture, you name it it turns yellow here in GA.

The surface pollen will be removed via the filter and skimmer. Stuff going down to the floor of the pool will be sucked up via the Polaris. Just keep things moving and we'll get to the end of this yellow season... :). I like to use Skimmer Socks in my skimmer basket to save my filter from being loaded up with the yellow schmutz.

Maddie :flower:

Hey guys, thank you for replying so quickly. Yes, we had bad pollen about 2 weeks ago, it was terrible! I was wondering if the skimmer settings looked good, I was hoping that may be the issue.

Texas Splash-
Test results yesterday were - FC 5.0 , CC 0 , PH 7.8 , TA 70 , CH 330 , CYA 70 , SALT 3350 , TEMP 60

There is some mottling from the french gray plaster but no stains. I was brushing every couple days now about once a week.

The pool was completed and they added water December 18th

I set the gauge but I do not notice any significant pressure differences even after a couple of weeks. So I started backwashing every 1-2 weeks regardless. Except for the very first time, the globe never really gets cloudy when backwashing anymore. The builder told me since I had such a large sand filter I shouldn't need to backwash except for every couple of months. Just keep an eye on the gauge. But after reading here I was unsure.

Fyi... I do the backwash with the quick clean setting on the pump so it goes to like 125gpm. But like I said the little globe doesn't get dirty really anymore. Should I trust the gauge then? It may be a month or 2 between backwashes.

YippeeSkippy- Haha I am hoping you are correct and that makes so much sense. The pollen isn't as bad as it was 2 weeks ago but I'm sure it's still coming down somewhat. Do the pool circulation settings look ok? I will try skimmer socks also!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just FYI.. I was able to take a really good pic that shows it clearly. I am going to run the pool longer till we get over pollen season.
For skimming, be sure the returns (water coming into pool) are turned away from the skimmer and creating a circular motion around the pool back to the skimmer... with a skimmer sock, you'll have it cleared in no time!

Welcome to SPRING!! That time of year where every thing is blooming and falling into our pools!!!

Now lets do something fun! Throw some ping pong balls into the pool! Turn you pump on and watch them. This will really show you the way your returns and skimmer are set up to move the water. It will show you any dead areas in the pool. You can adjust the return eyeballs to adjust the flow of water. It may take some tweaking to get it just right. I would make notes of what you have now THEN any changes you make and how they affect the flow.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: splashpad
I think pollen in a pool throws people off because we are used to seeing it evenly distributed on our cars or patio furniture. On a water surface it clumps together. Yes, low for a long run time for your pump to keep it looking up to your expectations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.