crazy mid century pool

Thanks! Fun to see.

And how about that railing at the top of the basement steps! "Kids, please don't crawl near the cool shaped railing that is really dangerous and leads to the pool, OK?" ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That roof is possibly even cooler than the pool. I was curious what the style of that type of roof is called, so I googled "mid-century zig zag roof". The correct term is apparently "Folded Plate".

"Folded plate structures have an intrinsic rigidity and high load-carrying capacity which makes them economical over long spans that need to be free of internal columns and other obstructions."

You are very lucky that whoever built over that didn't shoot any nails or anchors into the walls or bottom.

So upon seeing the pool, the current owner of the pool company said it was more than likely built by the construction company but he recognized some components and we found reciepts from them from around 1966 which is just about a year or so after his father started the company. He was very interested in the whole thing especially the original sand filter, pump, and electric heater which may have come from his father as well (keep in mind this man is in his 60s now and would have been a teenager when the pool was built). we discussed it an after looking at the walls and floor it looks like the plan is to pressure wash (lightly) the walls and floor to remove the paint. then fill it to do a leak check. we assume the bricks will soak up some of the water so we will let it sit for a few days, top it off, then do the leak test. The pipes are galvanized so that may be a problem. If all goes well we discussed using a product similar to truck bed liner to refinish the bottom of the pool. so that is an option im investigating.

I'd be concerned that the brick may be deteriorated enough that it wouldn't withstand the high heat. It's also going to be a serious chore to remove the paint (which needs to be removed).

AquaBright will adhere to just about any surface.

Can you post some pictures?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.