Burkyspool

Jul 21, 2022
Minnesota
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
View attachment 438605
Newbie pool owner, first post here, had it for about a month. Two days ago one of the hoses popped off the filter and water gushed out. Luckily I spotted the lower water level in the pool and got out to turn off the pump. Unfortunately, what looks like happened is that the water washed out the sand underneath the pool as the filter/pump is right next to this indentation, and caused the vinyl to drop and cause this “crater.” I’m now worried that pressure on this could cause collapse or a hole. I have searched this site and it looks like the only fix is to drain the approximately 15k gallons and shore up the sand underneath and try as best I can to raise the liner, but it will probably never be taught again. 😕

View attachment 438605
Newbie pool owner, first post here, had it for about a month. Two days ago one of the hoses popped off the filter and water gushed out. Luckily I spotted the lower water level in the pool and got out to turn off the pump. Unfortunately, what looks like happened is that the water washed out the sand underneath the pool as the filter/pump is right next to this indentation, and caused the vinyl to drop and cause this “crater.” I’m now worried that pressure on this could cause collapse or a hole. I have searched this site and it looks like the only fix is to drain the approximately 15k gallons and shore up the sand underneath and try as best I can to raise the liner, but it will probably never be taught again. 😕

Attachments

• 9F0C6489-B5A1-4B80-A55C-62925025FD3A.jpeg
    9F0C6489-B5A1-4B80-A55C-62925025FD3A.jpeg
    601 KB · Views: 18
Hi and so sorry we are meeting like this :(

While I am waiting on your pic I will share we had the same thing happen to us! I will share how we "fixed" it and then made sure it did not happen again.

Fix:
Two people-one outside and on inside. Outside person GENTLY pushes the sand back under the liner. Have them push it as far in as they can a bit at a time. The person inside the pool will use their foot to help smooth it down where needed. The person outside may make a mound with the sand as they push it in. It will be the inside persons job to even it out. It will NOT be perfect but it will be okay and not cause any problems.

Keeping it from happening again:
-hard PVC sch 40 pipe for everything. Unions on either side of everything so you can work on the equipment when needed.
-Valves under the return and skimmer-this allows you to close the flow of water when needed.
-Get some pavers to put all under the return/skimmer area. We dug down a big in that area and put gravel in the hole. I made sure there was a light slope from the pool wall away from it. I put the pavers on that so when the skimmer overflows it will hit the pavers and go away from the pool.

Reactions: Decoy205

While I am waiting on your pic I will share we had the same thing happen to us! I will share how we "fixed" it and then made sure it did not happen again.

Fix:
Two people-one outside and on inside. Outside person GENTLY pushes the sand back under the liner. Have them push it as far in as they can a bit at a time. The person inside the pool will use their foot to help smooth it down where needed. The person outside may make a mound with the sand as they push it in. It will be the inside persons job to even it out. It will NOT be perfect but it will be okay and not cause any problems.

-hard PVC sch 40 pipe for everything. Unions on either side of everything so you can work on the equipment when needed.
-Valves under the return and skimmer-this allows you to close the flow of water when needed.
-Get some pavers to put all under the return/skimmer area. We dug down a big in that area and put gravel in the hole. I made sure there was a light slope from the pool wall away from it. I put the pavers on that so when the skimmer overflows it will hit the pavers and go away from the pool.
Good suggestion, I will try that, I’m hoping it hasn’t stretched the liner too much.

Fix:

Forgot to mention, after the hose popped off I had pvc piping put in, I’m not sure how many do this, but it sounded better, but then I had someone tell me that you have to take those off when winterizing to empty any water.

Attachments

• 209AF5EB-46EC-4C10-8317-9F735AB3E63E.jpeg
    209AF5EB-46EC-4C10-8317-9F735AB3E63E.jpeg
    547.2 KB · Views: 9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.