Georgetown, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have some significant cracks in the mortar around the flagstone coping over one of my skimmers. My pool pro told me I needed to find a mason who specializes in pools to reset the stone over the skimmer, but that doesn't make sense to me. Can't I chip out the mortar from the joints and apply new mortar to the joints? Am I missing something unique about pool stonework?

Assuming I can, I've seen mixed info on what to use... is there a difference between this mortar and what I use on my limestone siding? Do I need to mix something in to increase adhesion (not sure why the old mortar seems to have separated from the coping over the skimmer like it has)?

Thank you in advance for any guidance!

Attachments

• IMG_2222.png
    IMG_2222.png
    382.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2223.png
    IMG_2223.png
    422.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2224.png
    IMG_2224.png
    392.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2225.png
    IMG_2225.png
    412.9 KB · Views: 32
What do the coping stone look like when they are installed? Looks like you might need to revisit your expansion joint design.

That stone is over the mouth of the skimmer. Trying to chip out the mortar without removing the stone may damage the plastic skimmer. Then you will have a much bigger project. The Pool Pro is giving you the safe advice.

img_2222-png.485263

Post pics looking into the mouth of the skimmer.

What is below the stone over the mouth opening?

Type S mortar is used for pool coping.

That stone is over the mouth of the skimmer. Trying to chip out the mortar without removing the stone may damage the plastic skimmer. Then you will have a much bigger project. The Pool Pro is giving you the safe advice.

img_2222-png.485263

Post pics looking into the mouth of the skimmer.

What is below the stone over the mouth opening?

Type S mortar is used for pool coping.
Here are pictures from below the stone, which covers the skimmer intake. Also worth mentioning that the stone is a little loose. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2258.png
    IMG_2258.png
    277.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2257.png
    IMG_2257.png
    293.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2256.png
    IMG_2256.png
    249.5 KB · Views: 21
The right fix is to pop off the stone, clean up the joints, and properly set it in mortar.

You can see the loose edges where I drew the red lines.

Coping stone.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.