Cracking Pool Paint Solution?

J777

May 20, 2024
AR
I'm using swimming pool paint (I believe it is epoxy paint) on a concrete surface. I've removed all previous paint from the surface and have now painted it over with the pool paint several times and there is cracking in three of the four corners painted. Really haven't found any solid information online regarding why this cracking is happening or how I am to remedy the situation.

Can anyone offer step by step help on how to fix the issue?

Thank you.

We do not recommend painting pools since Pool Paint is not made like it used to and rarely lasts long. I think you are seeing why we don;t recommend it.

Have you considered dropping in a vinyl liner or plastering the pool?

We do not recommend painting pools since Pool Paint is not made like it used to and rarely lasts long. I think you are seeing why we don;t recommend it.

Have you considered dropping in a vinyl liner or plastering the pool?
I don't know if it's allowed or not but had to ask; I don't have a pool, just a stall shower with concrete floor that was peeling and looked horrible, along with some mold to boot. I haven't found any good info online aside from reading that humidity and temperature can affect the end product. I removed all the old paint with mineral spirits and a wire cup brush on a grinder then painted a number of times and this last time I've had the door shut and used a dehumidifier to see if that would help but it's still cracked.

Not sure what to do!!

Are there cracks in the concrete ? If the base material is shifting, then paint will crack. You can try filling the cracks with silicone first but that may not hold either.

Gotta be specific in the shopping list to get the correct product.
You mean nobody is in my head to know I only use caulk in that application? :ROFLMAO:

And call it all silicone whether or not it's silicone based ?

C'mon people. Do better. :whip:

Here's 1

Another option would be to strip all the paint again and stain the concrete.

Are there cracks in the concrete ? If the base material is shifting, then paint will crack. You can try filling the cracks with silicone first but that may not hold either.
Hi, there aren't any cracks in the concrete from what I could tell. I may have just put on too much paint? There's no ventilation to that bathroom and the humidity has been relatively high there but even with the dehumidifier running full tilt it continued to crack the paint despite repeated application...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Concrete sealer section at the hardware store. Many many different sealers to choose from. Ask the guys there what to use.