Glastonbury CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I've been losing water which originally thought it was evaporation but then noticed the skimmer had what looks kind of like a crack at a seam. Does this look like a crack in the skimmer box or just a line? I can't find any pictures from a point earlier than this to check against

I need to do a bucket test as well to confirm if there is a leak going to top off and set that up tonight

Attachments

• 20210813_190829.jpg
    20210813_190829.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 44
🙋‍♂️
Sure looks separated / cracked to me. It could be the plastic weld or glue being stained I guess. CT can you stick something skinny in the area to prove it is/isn’t cracked ?

🙋‍♂️
Sure looks separated / cracked to me. It could be the plastic weld or glue being stained I guess. CT can you stick something skinny in the area to prove it is/isn’t cracked ?
I can slide a plastic Keychain card in just slightly (same distance at all spots). Distance is about same as from where it says core to top in the picture

The water level was topped off to the red line in the other picture 8/13 evening and was down to picture level just now

Attachments

• 20210818_172825.jpg
    20210818_172825.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210818_172451.jpg
    20210818_172451.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 16
Does it feel like it’s bottoming out on plastic or mud ? It’s probably just the top layer that’s separated with plenty attached below.

Does that amount of water loss in 4ish days seem reasonable for the northeast?
With cooler nights lately and the water still warm from last week, It very may well be.
A bucket test will help tell the story. It’s a relatively slow loss so leave it out there for 2 days after topping off the pool. Don’t drive yourself nuts checking it every 6 hours wondering if you see 1/4 inch difference which could just be from the wind not affecting the bucket water.

Keep an eye on it and keep us posted.

With cooler nights lately and the water still warm from last week, It very may well be.
A bucket test will help tell the story. It’s a relatively slow loss so leave it out there for 2 days after topping off the pool. Don’t drive yourself nuts checking it every 6 hours wondering if you see 1/4 inch difference which could just be from the wind not affecting the bucket water.

Keep an eye on it and keep us posted.
Sounds good.

Water is back to my red line in the previous picture and bucket is on the top step filled to same level as it is sitting in pool. Tried 2nd step but it was completely submerged and wouldn't stay put.

Will keep an eye on it with daily chlorine additions for next several days

Reactions: Newdude
One more question for now, if it rains does that invalidate the bucket test? Feels like rest of pool has much better chance of catching water than a 5 gallon bucket or am I over thinking it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does it leak more or faster when the pump is running? I'm sure it does, Just slap some flex seal or pool putty along the lines. Look at pictures of skimmer buckets being replaced and then look at your picture, my guess is that split is from inside to outside. Anyway flex seal is like 14 bucks. You can drain the water just past the skimmer and silcon it to.

Feels like rest of pool has much better chance of catching water than a 5 gallon bucke
They will each catch their proportionate amount based on surface area. An inch of rain throughout the yard is an inch in the bucket and an inch in the pool.

Well apparently what I initially thought was going to be light rain ended being 2 inches of rain. Pool is near top of skimmer and bucket was actually just slightly more than pool. Adjusted to be even and will continue to monitor from here

Reactions: Newdude
If you want to check a suspect leak spot, use some food coloring drops near the crack to see if they get sucked in.
Didn't know that was a separate piece it looked like one piece on half of it so figured it probably started as 1 piece. Good to know. Going to try some food coloring anyway just to double check

Reactions: JamesW
Put a couple drops of food coloring in skimmer with pump off. It spread out in water but eventually just kind of stopped so doesn't look like it is leaking there.

Sorry picture doesn't show it as well as I thought but couldn't get a better angle

Attachments

• 20210821_131632.jpg
    20210821_131632.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.