Cracked sand filter

Mswiss80

May 12, 2020
Switzerland
Hi All,

Firstly thanks for letting me join. I am new to pool ownership and looking forward to increasing my knowledge.

So, we have employed a company to look after our pool for year one with training so we can take on all duties next year. We have started our lessons off with pool chemistry although we are using soft and easy as my wife has very sensitive skin.

Anyhoooo, the point of this post is to ask some friendly advice. As part of the take over for the new company they changed the sand in the filter as they recommend this with every new home owner. The problem is after the sand change I noticed a very small leak on the body of the filter, this has been there for a long time as it has deposit build up around it. It's right at the back so we didn't spot it before. The pool company have said they will try and fix it but it may need a new filter, oh ,and we cant use the sand they just used it has to be new again apparently. (1000 cost) .

Do you think a fix is ok or is it best just to bit the bullet and use loose the 1000 CHF (swiss francs) of sand and buy a new filter and sand. The leak is about one drop every minute so really no big deal but all the equipment is in the basement and if it blows a flooded basement would be a nightmare.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to TFP. I am so glad you found us and your wallet will be glad as well!

Lets start with firing the pool company. They are taking advantage of your newness to pools. You have TFP now so we can and will guide you in what to do and not do.

In the sand's case you did NOT need new sand to start with. Sand lasts forever if a bunch of junk is not put into it. As for needing new sand if you get a new filter...............WHAT??? Get a big tarp and put the sand on it to put back in the new filter. There is NO reason to get new sand again!

Filter=NEW filter for sure! There is NO way to safely fix the old one. It is a ticking time bomb AND with the spot facing the pool it will take out the pool when it goes.

Kim:kim:

Thanks KimKats,

Yes my intention is not to have a pool company as I am confident enough to look after it and its expensive.

The reason the are saying they cant use the sand again is they used a glass type with decreasing sized granules which has to be layered in specific layers of size to work. Does this sound correct? bad news if yes.

The filter wouldnt let go into the poll, yay! however it would flood my basement,, booooo!

I have heard of glass being used instead of "real" sand but not the size differences. Do you know the brand name so I can check into it? Me? I would just scoop it out and use it how ever and hope for the best.

They have quoted on an Astralpool Europe pro 600mm 15,000ltr per hour. The pool is 12,500 gallons (US) do you think this will be a good filter for the pool ?

Quick spec as not sure if I can post a link and I am not sure if this filter can be bought in North America -

With methacrylate cover 15,000 l/h Ø 600 mm output 2”

Filters made of fibreglass and polyester resin

• Filter colour (Ral5015)

• 1/4″ purge valve.

• 2 1/2″ sand discharge outlet.

• Polyester or methacrylate cover with screws.

• Diameter of top access: 285 mm.

• Maximum pressure: 2.5 bar.

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,

The pump is a Zodiac Flo Pro e3 which runs in eco mode at 1400rpm at 2850 its runs at 16m3 h its doesnt state on the spec what it does at 1400? sorry

The previous sand filter is a Kripsol model 680 -

1589461017489.png

Sorry if this is vague, still a newbie lol

Appreciate all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.