crack in concrete & trim

It looks as if the erosion of the water would fall right in that corner...but maybe its the slope of the picture. I cant tell what kind of trees those are, but it wouldnt hurt to find out. That way, you can research the root structure, watering requirements, etc.. Even if the roots arent directly tearing up the concrete...they could still be using up all the water in that area, thus causing the variations in soil, which obviously weaken the integrity of the concrete.

unknown170-Copy.jpg

Black lines is where the cracks in the vermiculite / concrete floor are.. It goes from this corner in the deep end all the way to the shallow end to the jet. The steel wall is separating/buckling from the bottom, right where the pool floor starts. I can fit 2 fingers in it. Its like there is no concrete collar.
It seems like the other side of the pool is starting to bulge as well.. Steel wall seems ok so far. I feel like the floor is still moving.

I chipped up the trouble some concrete deck, there was 4 " of concrete, found 1 piece of rebar for the outer perimeter of the concrete pad. There is sand underneath the concrete pad, and I have a few concrete pillars that were supporting the deck. While I was taking up the one corner, when I was using my sledge hammer, I could see the concrete pillar move up and down.

Maybe they didn't put the pillars in deep enough?

Tonight while swimming, I've noticed a few holes in my stairs. I'm not sure if It just occurred or I just happen to see them. So it looks like you cannot repair these stairs.

I've been researching online, and there was an article saying that the winter that has just past has been brutal on pools, and pool companies have had an increase of %40 calls for repairs.

At this point, i'm not sure if I should wait till the wall collapses, or just fill the pool, or spend the money to fix.

$2k - concrete removal - get company to do this part
$2k - new coping - this is optional, but if i'm putting in a major time to repair I want a brand new coping for interlock/concrete
$2-3 k - new liner - contract out?
$1,350 - chip out concrete/vermiculite floor and repair - get company to do this part
$1,500 - new stairs
$4500 - $7000 for new interlock / concrete
$xxxx for pool piping replacement - not sure if I should replace the lines while the backyard is demo'ed.
I'm really afraid of putting all this money out, and not being certain that this will not happen again in 10 years. If this only happened to my pool and not my neighbors as well I would feel much better.

I have 2 kids that like swimming - 4 y/o and a 6 y/o. They are telling me to keep it..

As I think I responded before the long term cause of this is probably a lot of moisture in the soil surrounding your pool. Its years of freeze thaw cycles. If you don't install some sort of drainage system to move that away from the pool structure it will, as you suggest, happen again.

So my first step, if I were you would be to get to different pool repair guys out there to look at it, see if the cause is what you think it is and come up with their plan to fix it. You want the old guys, the ones whose blood is half chlorine. They can give you a good idea of what it will take to fix the problems. And how much they would charge.

Then you can figure out how much it will cost if you DIY it.

Once I had that information, I think I would be able to make a decision -- But in my view its not worth fixing unless you solve the cause..

And anyway how can you deny a four and six year old a pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.